Teacher rights-teaching online in hospital with covid?

racetrack

Teacher rights-teaching online in hospital with covid?

Post by racetrack »

Hi, I would love some advice or help as I'm a bit out of my league. My nephew (Lets call him Bob) started his first international teaching job last year and has gotten Covid. He told his supervisor, who told him he has to keep working online as the supervisor can't get any cover. Bob will be hospitalized but he was told he has to teach online. Bob is working in primary in a Middle Eastern school- what are his rights in this regard? Could he be fired for not being able (either physically or mentally) to work online? If you could offer some advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and stay safe
expatscot

Re: Teacher rights-teaching online in hospital with covid?

Post by expatscot »

Short answer - as an international teacher, he has little rights and protections, especially in the ME. If the school is insisting he teach, yet he is medically unable to do so, then yes they may choose to fire him as a result (though personally, if I were him, I'd do the minimum I had to until I got out of hospital, before disappearing out of the country rather than returning to school.)

He can also name the school on the ISR discussion board about this - and, I think, in this forum too.
PsyGuy

Reponse

Post by PsyGuy »

What does the contract say? Are they entitled to any leave, etc.?
In the ME they probably have zero rights, and they very likely could be dismissed, even if they did have some rights, how are they going to enforce whatever protections they have from hospital. Id do nothing online, let the supervisor twist and plan their exit when they recover.
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

For all Covid related experiences the naming of schools is permitted on this forum.
Nomadic Teacher

Post by Nomadic Teacher »

Saint Dominics International School in Lisbon did not pay me for the online work I did and forced staff to go to work and crowded meetings when there was a lockdown. AVOID THIS SCAM OF A SCHOOL!