Europe Desireability & COVID

sciteach

Europe Desireability & COVID

Post by sciteach »

In the last few days I've been contacted by a few European schools for the 2021/22 school year. Some are good schools whilst some are what they are. Thankfully I already have a job for next year but it got me thinking....

With COVID, high taxes and low saving potential in mid to lower tier schools in Europe (specifically central Europe), will the glut of teachers who apply for these positions start to dry up?

This post was inspired by a school which contacted me with a 2 in the front of it's lower and upper pay scale. I'm not totally money focused - but it is quite offputting.
Verano

Re: Europe Desireability & COVID

Post by Verano »

I am sorry for not answering your question sciteach, but I also have a similar question. I just moved to Japan last summer and am paid fairly well. However, I had a Central European school contact me earlier this week about applying for a position that would be considered a promotion, yet the lay would be lower than what I am getting paid after taxes. I’m not sure whether it’ll be safer to stay for another year, start job search at the end of this year, and hope to land a job or see where this invitation to apply goes and if I get an offer to go. Japan has not contained the . and the cases are increasing, however, it has done a much better job compared to a lot of countries.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

No, high taxes and low saving potential have always been an issue in the WE and EU and SARS-CoV-2 is everywhere, none of it will dampen the romanticism and desirability attached to the WE and EU.