Am I making a mistake??

PurpleHaze

Am I making a mistake??

Post by PurpleHaze »

Hi all,

Happy holidays / Merry Christmas / Happy new year!

My situation (also from a recent post) :
--> Stuck outside China Feb. 2020, taught spring semester online
--> Dismissed before Fall 2020 semester based on inability to return
--> Finished a Florida license, student teaching in Math & Business

Current situation:
-->. I am about to sign on as a long-term sub for a position teaching a business class and lower level maths (high school)
--> The term will end in May
-->. My goal is to return to China by Fall '21, where I left my belongings, important docs, life, S/O (hardest challenge) etc.
-->. By then, I will have 2 yr. IT experience in English and 1 sem. (plus 1 sem. student teaching) U.S. domestic experience in Math and Business
-->. I have endorsements in the above 3 subjects
--> I am to apply earned credits towards a M.ED in Leadership with a regionally accredited school in Feb/March. (will hopefully finish by Summer 2022).
--> Zero interest in staying any longer in the U.S. beyond spring

My question:
- This is probably the worst recruitment season we'll have for a long time. I know the more qualified teachers will be scooped up in January, but which part of the hiring season will I have the best chance?
- What happens if, miraculously, an international school offers me a job for March or before my sub-job is set to end? Consequences and steps to take?
I've been debating taking a cram-school / public school job just to return, but the borders won't open until March at the earliest. I just want to know I won't be screwing myself over by not taking the earliest opportunity to return.
- Lastly (and totally unrelated), any advice for a relationship hanging by a thread, only because of the pandemic, to last potentially another 6 months as long-distance? Lmao.....half-jokingly posting this as it is unrelated to the purpose of the site

I appreciate all comments and criticism.
expatscot

Re: Am I making a mistake??

Post by expatscot »

Nope, I don't think you're making a mistake. Basically, the problem with China is getting back in! I'm presuming that your school was not in Beijing or Shanghai, and this is why returning became difficult.

What you will return as, is a teacher who can teach English, Maths and Business - which is likely to be appealing, even given your lack of experience, particularly in the Tier 2 schools. It's likely that there will still be vacancies later in the school year, but if I were in your position I'd just get started applying now - particularly as it gives you longer to get the visa sorted. You might also even manage to get a school who can sort your visa and get you back in now (COVID restrictions allowing) ahead of the new school year.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

One thing you will probably notice is more positions becoming available in China than normal.

It is true that there will probably be less teachers as a whole in 2021/22 in China, but the vast majority of positions are for local students which are not as reliant on open borders.

Taking out politics and everything - the two biggest things that may cause many staff to leave China or limit people moving to China are:

(1) Not being able to leave to visit family in their home countries
(2) Many partners not being able to bring in dependents into the country

I'm personally expecting some of the lower quality schools which don't pay well in less than ideal cities closer to June will struggle to fill all of their positions. Do take my opinion with a big grain of salt though
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

China, probably closer to late spring early summer. Its when your going to have the best data about an ISs real ability to bring you in. The excuses work both ways, all the contracts in the world mean nothing when an IS can just claim 'pandemic' and do away with everything they have agreed to and promised.

Its a sub/relief/supply appointment that lasted a term, ghost it and be done with it regardless of how long you stay.

Being on site and in country will be a decidedly strong advantage, even if its ESOL/Cram/DE, the issue is you might have issues justifying and getting an OSH package. The vacancies will be there though come summer as fall approaches.

Propose.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

@expatscot.

Thanks for the response. I have been applying but I'm not confident given the unique difficulty of this winter. My visa stuff has been at the last step for several months, though countless others are in the same boat.

@sciteach

Yeah. I wouldn't mind lower quality schools at all since I probably will struggle to punch above my weight this hiring season. Thank you.

@PsyGuy

Thanks. Reality is tumultuous but sobering. Guess the waiting game persists.

and Are you sure? Well, here goes....

....PsyGuy, will you marry me??¿