How Competitive?

seaweed

How Competitive?

Post by seaweed »

Hi everyone!

I am applying to schools in Asia and Europe, but I honestly have no idea how competitive I am as a candidate.

I have taught high school physics and math (including all AP Physics courses and AP Calculus AB/BC) for the past 4 years at an accredited Tier 3 school in Asia. I am currently finishing my M.Ed. and teaching certification (secondary physics and math); both will be completed by May 2021. I have a B.A. in physics as well. Ideally, I would like to teach HS physics, but I am willing and able to teach MS and HS math and MS science as well.

I am just about 31 years old and married to a teacher (secondary English and social studies) with no dependents.

Is my resume competitive enough to at least get past the first interview at a Tier 1 school in Asia? All I've gotten so far are rejections, but I honestly have no idea if my resume is even worth an interview for these schools.
shadowjack

Re: How Competitive?

Post by shadowjack »

You are competitive, but I see on the other side you have no IB experience. Get to an IB school, even if it isn't tier 1, and get trained, teach through the DP cycle completely at least twice (that is three years) to have a baseline on student results and the experience taking students through the entire program more than once.

Then start hunting tier 1s. Don't confine yourself to Asia, either. A good school in ANY region will make it easier to return to Asia to a tier 1. Also focus on value added - what other duties have you taken on vis a vis curriculum development, reauthorization, reaccreditation, internal positions such as STUCO advisor, EE advisor, CAS, sports, etc. Everything gets considered at a tier 1 - they can hire a math/physics teacher no problem, because lots apply based on the school's reputation. My question is what are YOU going to do to make yourself value added, besides getting outstanding results for your students.
seaweed

Post by seaweed »

That's really great advice. I've got some experience coaching and running my current school's music program (it's small) as well as a large contribution in our reaccreditation recently. I'll definitely keep adding to it, though! Thank you~
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

For tier 1 no and IB experience isnt the limiting factor. A couple years after your credential and Masters are conferred and a contract in a 2nd tier, maybe a floater third tier and youll be competitive.
DaZhu

Post by DaZhu »

I just got turned down by a tier 1 in Thailand because "They want someone with more PYP experience"--and I have 3 years of PYP experience. Must be a competitive market!

But yep..IB is the way to go.