Moving Into Admin But Down a Tier?

funteacher

Moving Into Admin But Down a Tier?

Post by funteacher »

I have received an offer for a principal position at a lower tier school. However, something that has really surprised me in the contract offer is that I'll be making significantly less money than I am in my current teaching position. While the decision is not all about money, at least some of any decision is. I guess what I'm wondering is that if I can expect this to pay off in the long run? I've tried to make the break into admin for a few years, and this is my first real opportunity. But this possibility of making less money for what I know will be more stress never really crossed my mind, like I knew I would make less than the admin at my current school, but I didn't think that even at a low tier school I'd make less than I am as a teacher right now. Has anyone experienced something similar? Did it pay off?
sid

Re: Moving Into Admin But Down a Tier?

Post by sid »

It can pay off later when you change back to a higher tier. Also check numbeo to see what your situation will really look like.
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

I agree with Sid - check the figures on Numbeo so you can work out what the savings potential is.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

As an administrator in multiple roles, I still make less than I did in my last two teaching posts with no admin duties. But, this position is the springboard to other, better, positions, or a move to a directorship where my salary would be better. Not all schools are rich, but you can learn just as much, if not more, from them.
Psychometrika

Post by Psychometrika »

Out of curiosity what the typical pay ratio between teachers and assistant principals at most international schools? I imagine it varies but was wondering if something like 40% more is typical.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Usually less, IME, but it depends on the school. I have generally been at smaller schools. I would say 15 - 20%. Others may have different metrics as there is no one size fits all.
sid

Post by sid »

Agree with SJ.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Your going down a tier and starting on a new salary scale at step 1. Its not a surprise to me at all that its at substantially less coin Leadership tend to make 20% too 400% more than ITs depends what point on the scales your looking at, tiers, position (Senior leadership vs, Executive leadership, etc.). Breaking into leadeship is the hardest, its almost worth it at any process to add that first leadership experience to your resume, and you cant get to those 6 figure 400% salaries without making your way through leadership (usually).