obtaining an additional license

horgathar

obtaining an additional license

Post by horgathar »

Hey Psyguy & the folks with knowledge of licensure pathways,

I am seeking advice on obtaining a license in elementary education. I am currently an elementary teacher at an international school.

I’m from MA and hold an initial license in ESL education (PreK-6). Unfortunately they won’t let you do a provisional in something else after you have an initial. I looked into getting a second initial license, but they make you do another practicum which needs to be with a MA certified teacher, and there is none at my school.

Do all states require you to do a second practicum when obtaining an additional license? Are there states where I could obtain a license in elementary, perhaps by using some kind of reciprocity to transfer my ESL license and then obtain an additional license in elementary through passing exams? How do people obtain second licenses in IE?

By the way, I’m also doing an online masters in elementary ed at Worcester State University—I don’t know if another state would accept that program for licensure preparedness. It does not include a practicum.

I’ll do TeacherReady in Florida if I have to but I want to see if I have other options first.

Finally, how would recruiters consider a candidate for elementary positions who has a few years of experience, but a license in ESL?
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

1) Are you a US Citizen?
2) How much and what kind of experience do you have?
3) How did you obtain your initial MA credential was it through an EPP/ITT program?
4) Is your primary/elementary teaching experience in PYP?

State DOEs vary, the majority of them typically allow additional endorsements by examination, some, such as some of the MA credentials (IE. Initial) do not and require more involved preparation. Its a small number of DOEs that require an additional EPP/ITT program or additional field experience.
Most ITs add endorsements by examination.

Is the Worcester State Uni Masters program an ITT/EPP program that results in some kind of credential from a regulating authority? If it doesnt provide a field experience, if its entirely an academic qualification than its not going to amount to much in the US. There are some CAN provinces that would accept it towards the academic component for registration.

There is no reason to do Teach Ready at this time, that I can see.

Not very highly if it was something other than ESOL it would be better, but it depends what your reference says and how you spin it on a resume and in the interview. If you can successfully rep you were an HRT then as the rule goes experience is king. Primary ESOL to primary if you have HRT experience, better if you have PYP experience isnt a huge reach. The problem is going to be marketability given the competition, primary is saturated with ITs who are lite on experience.
horgathar

Re: obtaining an additional license

Post by horgathar »

Thank you so much for the response!

1. I am a US citizen.
3. I got a master's degree that included student teaching and licensure for my ESL license.
2 & 4. I am in my second year at a PYP school in Latin America. I intend to do a third and maybe even a fourth year at this school as I'm pretty content and gaining valuable experience. I also have one year of overseas TESOL experience that I don't think counts for much. Trying to make sure that I'm ready to go for the recruiting season next year.

The Worcester State program does not lead to licensure--though you can use it to go from initial licensure to professional licensure. I'm guessing I'll have better luck with reciprocity. Are there states that are better for reciprocity than others? I'm thinking I might try Connecticut as it's close to home.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@horgathar

You may want to look at Texas. The issue is experience, many of the states have experience requirements to be eligible for a professional grade credential. Texas has only one regular credential (Standard, professional grade) it has no experience requirement. You can transfer in your MA initial and take the required TeXas exams for PPR, ESOL and Elementary and obtain a professional credential in all three, assuming you pass the exams.