December SA Fair - How Was It?

sciteach

December SA Fair - How Was It?

Post by sciteach »

Subject states it all. Hopefully it was better than the October fair.....
justme123

Re: December SA Fair - How Was It?

Post by justme123 »

Disappointing to say the least.

I have been to a few fairs in the past as have always been lucky to walk away with a minimum of 5 interviews (probably because I'm a math teacher).

This fair I applied to 11 schools and all either declined my interview request or didn't get back to me. One school that I didn't reach out to offered me an interview. That was all I received.

Not sure where I went wrong or if schools weren't serious in their hiring efforts (or probably some of both).
What I can say is there were multiple messages from the fair organizers telling us to be patient and that a lot of schools weren't responding to candidates at all (or very slowly). So there must have been a fair amount of frustration from the candidates end.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

A former colleague of mine (also a Mathematics teacher) had a similar experience as @justme123, although she is pretty picky (both of school and location) and approached only 3 schools.
Then again, this fair was meant for candidates seeking their first international position, and she definitely doesn't fit that profile.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Search (at least my associate) has made it pretty clear that January in Singapore and London and Boston are the big three with the first two being for more experienced candidates. December, especially this year, is a bit iffy... there are so many unknowns out there for schools that it is a bit early to be recruiting in December. That's only my opinion, but...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

They are all virtual fairs until maybe Spring. Virtual fairs tend to be over rated and very under whelming.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Agree with PsyGuy - so far all virtual fairs I've heard about from colleagues and friends were underwhelming, with the exception of the GRC fair which was set up a bit better, although not a lot of hiring was done which is of course is the point of a fair for the IT.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

GRC was better but in terms of offers, it was just shinier poo.