PYP positions

just.the.truth

PYP positions

Post by just.the.truth »

Is it me, or are there loooooads of schools looking to refcruit experienced PYP teachers only. I have 8 years of IT experience, but no PYP experience. I am registered for the "Making the PYP Happen" workshop course, but I'm hoping to get into an IB school somewhere, but I've been striking out left and right. I've worked at what I suppose are two 3rd tiers schools, and two 2nd tier schools (I think). My goal is to work towards schools with better international reputations, but I'm having trouble finding a school willing to give me a shot. I'm assuming that less schools are willing to hire unexperienced PYP teachers to train because their budgets are limited this year.

It's really frustrating because opportunities are obviously more limited now. Does anybody have any tips, advice, magical spells...?
sid

Re: PYP positions

Post by sid »

All PYP schools prefer to hire experienced PYP teachers. That’s common sense, though sometimes the better hire is the inexperienced person with the right mindset over the experienced person who hasn’t really taken it to heart.
It’s a general preference, not a requirement, and schools tend to soften as we get later into the hiring season. With each month that passes, we’re more flexible. So please be patient and keep trying. Your chances will be better in February and March etc.

There’s simple math here too. The number of PYP schools keeps growing. More PYP teachers are needed each year. Ergo, each year schools take in teachers new to the PYP.
just.the.truth

Post by just.the.truth »

sid wrote:
> All PYP schools prefer to hire experienced PYP teachers. That’s common
> sense, though sometimes the better hire is the inexperienced person with
> the right mindset over the experienced person who hasn’t really taken it to
> heart.
> It’s a general preference, not a requirement, and schools tend to soften as
> we get later into the hiring season. With each month that passes, we’re
> more flexible. So please be patient and keep trying. Your chances will be
> better in February and March etc.
>
> There’s simple math here too. The number of PYP schools keeps growing. More
> PYP teachers are needed each year. Ergo, each year schools take in teachers
> new to the PYP.

Hi Sid,
Thanks for your advice. I do get that the number of IB schools are growing, which is why I am scrambling to get into a PYP school. Not only that, I really do love the PYP philosophy, and have followed an inquiry model for teaching in some shape or form (mas o menos).

I know that you do recruiting, so I really am grateful for your insight. That gives me a bit of hope, so thank you.

Cheers!
peachestotulips

Post by peachestotulips »

I'm actually finding it quite limiting so far as an experienced PYP teacher. I've had many great interviews, applied to 40-50 schools and no bites yet. But there seems to be loads of positions available at the moment at schools that don't offer the IB.
I have been seeing more demand for DP/MYP teachers over PYP teachers which has me considering staying on and getting MYP experience at my current school to make myself more marketable.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Concur with @Sid, all IB ISs prefer experienced PYP ITs. Its not a budget issue though. PYP is such a different and alien way of teaching that your first year is pretty much a training year and your useless and your second year your not stumbling over everything but your still not very productive. That means for your first contract your basically a loss to the IS and they have to hope you stay to get their coins worth and if an IT doesnt they just paid for some other ISs learning curve.