professional development

horgathar

professional development

Post by horgathar »

What is the best professional development you have done? What have you found most helpful to your practice? Recruiters, what PD experiences are you looking for in candidates? I'm an elementary teacher so that's the level I'm particularly interested in.
sid

Re: professional development

Post by sid »

The exact kind doesn’t matter, just that you make efforts to keep growing. Even in schools that don’t provide opportunities (for shame), make the effort. Books, memberships, plc, action research are all pretty manageable without school support
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In direct reply to your inquiries:

1) What is the best professional development you have done?
Readers Writers Workshop. It was practical, functional training about what it is, how it works and what it does and its popular in IE at the primary level.

2) What have you found most helpful to your practice?
Google Educator. It gave me a jump on the efficiencies that make lesson planing and classroom management using Google tools by DESIGN practical.

3) What have you found most helpful to Recruiters?
Graduate level coursework and certificate programs. Coursera, edX, etc.

4) What PD experiences are you looking for in candidates?
Externally provided PD that required real motivation, effort and resources to complete, such that you dont have to ask the candidate what the impact is, they incorporate it into their other responses. When you have to ask and then wait for the candidate to contemplate and form a response, you know its not really meaningful or useful.