The dilemma, take the bait?

Smokegreynblues

The dilemma, take the bait?

Post by Smokegreynblues »

So, I am a weak IS IT, candidate, it's usually difficult for me to find good schools.
A certain school dubbed as the best/top bilingual school in Thailand has shown some interest.
However, I feel it's only due to the covid scenario that such a school is showing some interest.
Usually, the staff over there are full QTS qualified and they have a scale comparable to the Uk QTS scale.

The handbook has a lot of things that spell out in what scenarios the contract may "Not" be renewed.
Now agreed the offer at hand is 40% more than what I get paid now, however, I am at peace as to where I am and have been so for many years.
The leap would mean uncertainty after the contract completion.

I do feel that once borders open and things are back to normal, I would be the first in line to let go of.

any thoughts or my fears are just in my head?
sid

Re: The dilemma, take the bait?

Post by sid »

You’ve got to do an honest self assessment.
If you’re weak on paper and strong in reality, they’ll keep you. If you’re just not the greatest with kids and deadlines and paperwork and attendance and collegial planning and and and... then you’ll be gone.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Your fears are real. I concur with @Sid, so much about an IT is fit, but if you dont add value or worse are subtracting value because you suck at teaching or your not a very good employee, than yeah at the first opportunity they can, will dismiss and replace you. On the other side of the coin if you can transfer knowledge effectively, you connect with students and parents and the ISs staff, leadership and faculty generally like you then your resume is just a piece of paper in a file drawer regardless how weak or lite it is. The caveat to that is you never know when a new leader (HOS) will come in and what adds value from their POV changes and your facing the line again.
There may be some minor influences at work, there are some top tier ISs that have just okay staff, and if people like you as long as your performance is just good enough not to be dismissed, then leadership may hesitate to get rid of you because of what it might do to moral. You also cant be assured youll get the full length of the contract, ISs can usually dismiss for cause, if you suck they could just consider you incompetent and dismiss you well before the end of the contract, forget about renewal. If youre really that weak of an IT and that happens youre going to end up with a lot of stresses for little more than putting an upper tier IS on your resume, and thats the best outcome isnt it? Thats what youve already realized, that they appoint you, you get two years and then youre job searching with a neutral reference and two years at an upper tier IS and you would have to believe that youd get a better IS at the end of it with that experience and reference, then the one youre in now. If thats not the goal then that 40% coin increase isnt going to last long and the whole thing was professional suicide.
Smokegreynblues

Post by Smokegreynblues »

Weak in the sense when it comes to credentials and relative knowledge. I generally know my way around a classroom. Keep it disciplined enough to impart knowledge. Maintain a professional distance but still have a professional connection with children. However awkward it is to maintain good relations with different kinds of people, I can keep a neutral relationship with most.

I am unsure of the paperwork, As it is primarily a British curriculum school, there are things like a statement of work, Evidence of progress, all of which I generally do now. But it is not scrutinized to a high degree. Right now where I am at, It's fairly relaxed as to structure, to give some space to the teachers, and bring personal creativity to the classroom.
Another point of concern is, I am experienced in IT/ICT across grades. However, this position is for primary DT subject, There are units that are directly related to what I do now, But plenty is new to me. Hence the shortcoming. I believe if adequate support were to be given, with well-planned resources I believe there's nothing that I cant do. However, if I were to be thrown down a crucible of "Do everything from scratch" my shortcoming would start to show. And this is where I shall be shown the door.
sid

Post by sid »

If they're hiring someone they consider to be an experienced teacher, support will be limited. Bit of a conundrum, if you're honest about needing support, they're less likely to hire you.
Do you have any friends who are admin types who can give you an honest assessment of your chances in a pressure-cooker school?
Are you willing to put in the hours it will take, week after week, to get up to speed?
mamava

Post by mamava »

sid wrote:
> You’ve got to do an honest self assessment.
> If you’re weak on paper and strong in reality, they’ll keep you. If you’re
> just not the greatest with kids and deadlines and paperwork and attendance
> and collegial planning and and and... then you’ll be gone.

I agree. Are you willing to become QTS? If so, then the jump might be a good one to start moving up the quality ladder while you are getting qualifications. If you are not interested in that, then maybe you're better off staying because moving up the ladder in terms of quality schools means you'll have to be qualified anyway.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Smokegreynblues wrote:

> A certain school dubbed as the best/top bilingual school in Thailand has
> shown some interest.

LOL, "top" bilingual school in Thailand. Oh I've heard that one before, still can't avoid laughing. I'm betting the school name starts with the first letter of the alphabet...

Do some research on Thai bilingual schools before jumping into anything. If it is run for-profit and managed by Thais (even if they have a puppet westerner in a pseudo-leadership role), and/or they are running a mishmash of Thai & international curriculum, run away and don't look back.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Smokegreynblues

In a BS no one is going to heavily scrutinize your documents unless there are problems real or imaginary.
I tend to concur with @Sid, if they think they are getting someone with experience than support is going to be limited or minimal, if you indicate you need significant support than they are less likely to hire you.
How much does your leadership and your HOD know about DT, if its not much you can probably fake it without making an ask for support. If youre working under someone who knows their stuff, its going to be far more difficult to learn it as you go while there and you may be shown the door as you state, but that might depend on what the ISs options are, if they cant replace you after the start of a year with someone better than they may hang onto you and see how it works out.

@buffalofan

I assume it starts with the first letter of the alphabet as well, Im laughing with you "Top Bilingual School" is as much an oxymoron as random pattern is.