MBA or MEd?

JasperTheCat

MBA or MEd?

Post by JasperTheCat »

Should I get an MBA or an MEd? I want to get an MBA because it will expand my knowledge in different subject area. Will this have any bearing on my “pay scale? I already have two bachelors; one in Education and other in Psychology.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

What are your goals, what outcome are you looking to pursue?

It depends on the type of M.Ed in part. If your looking at a C&I M.Ed about the only advancement those are good for are HOD, maybe academic coordinator. An Ed.Ld M.Ed is standard for senior leadership.
If your goal is an IEs CFO then an MBA is the way to go. Using an MBA to enter leadership is increasing but its still a small minority. An MBA may give you an advantage when looking at a a small young IS thats ownership is some rich guy and that person with a business background may identify more with a leader whose background is in business, especially if the ISs focus is on generating revenue.
If youre a business or economics IT an MBA may have more utility than an M.Ed.

In general unless its a Masters from a Global Ivy, and as long as its credited, a Masters is a Masters is a Masters. There is a small proportion of ISs that wont give a salary band increase if the Masters isnt related to the teaching subject content, in which case an MBA for Business/Economics IT could be acceptable whereas a M.Ed would not.
JasperTheCat

Re: MBA or MEd?

Post by JasperTheCat »

Thanks PsyGuy
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

You might also want to talk to your admin or admin in general. At many schools, if your masters is not in education (leadership, curriculum, etc) then they won't necessarily count it as a masters towards your teaching pay/experience scale. Just a heads up on that.
sid

Post by sid »

An MBA wouldn't count for a pay bump in most of the schools I've worked in, except possibly for Business Studies teachers.

Another consider is that not every school wants their leaders to be business oriented over education oriented. For Director level, maybe in the larger or chain schools. For finance managers, sure, but we tend to hire finance people with experience in the field of finance, not reformed teachers. For every other position including all the stepping stones towards Director, an MBA could be more of a hindrance.

I've run multiple search campaigns for top-level positions: Superintendent, Director and Principal. Applicants almost without exception are highly educated in education, not business. And members of the search committees did not look favorably on those who were steeped in business. Remember that search committees, outside of large chains, tend to include reps from multiple layers of the school, so lower admin and teachers, who as a rule do not want their next boss to be a number cruncher. When you've got a dozen or more good applicants, and several members of the committee are against the one business person, it's easy enough to take her off the list.

If you are interested in the larger chain schools, an MBA could help, but not until you're shooting for the top positions of Director or Super. Below that, you're unlikely to be of interest. So you would need a Plan B to help you rise up the ladder far enough to aspire to Director.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree with @S,J its more likely, though a very small number, that a degree thats not in your content area, such as a M.Ed would not be accepted. IE.. a business IT with a business related Masters (MBA) is not going to be denied an increase in salary band.