Admins Out There

Cupis

Admins Out There

Post by Cupis »

Just a floating thought and perhaps a good discussion starter... considering the pandemic.

How have the job applications been this year? Have you found there to be more or less?

Also, just another curious thought... how do you 'weed' out candidates if you are getting hundred of applications? Is there a specific checklist you follow (e.g., years of experience, certification, etc.).
sid

Re: Admins Out There

Post by sid »

There are more applicants than usual. At least for my school.
First culling is everyone who doesn’t meet the stated requirements. If the ad says you need a valid teaching qualification, don’t bother applying with a weekend TEFL course. If you’ve never taught MYP, don’t apply for MYP Coordinator after we’ve specified at least x years teaching MYP, no matter how much leadership experience you have. Etc. (And a special pox on those who answer “yes” to the pre-screening questions when the true answer is “no”. It will not endear you to us, you will not be “in with a chance”.)
Then we look at the remaining pool and start considering a million interlocking factors. How many in the pool? How many have the extra factors that aren’t strict requirements but which clearly add value, like working in multiple IB schools, tending to stay in one place for a good handful of years, interesting trainings, etc.
From there we pick a small handful to interview. Could be a very small handful- a couple weeks ago I had just one candidate who was miles ahead, absolutely perfect on paper. He was the only one I interviewed, he did awesome, he got the offer and took the job. But usually it’s a bigger small handful. When we have a successful interviewee, we hire. Done.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Cupis,

It has depended upon the position, but in general we are seeing the same or more applicants than previous years. At this point, we have filled half of our vacancies for 21-22, although we could have a couple more resignations.

We typically get between 20 to 50 applicants for a position.

I actually start with the references and remove anyone with mediocre to negative references. Then I look at experience in similar positions at similar schools. We then move to first round interviews, which are generally short to get a feel for the candidate. If we think the person is viable, they are then put into our process which includes interviews with principal, HOD, and other teacher leaders.

To be honest, years of experience (provided they have more than two years) and certification are less important.
sid

Post by sid »

Agree with nomads. References are vital and years of experience don’t matter too much if you have done at least the minimum. Certification only matters as a tick box item, so we can get you a visa. Otherwise I don’t care so much.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

TBH as a small school we are in an unprecedented position and are not even sure we need to recruit this year. I'm flummoxed, to be honest!
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Thanks for all your responses.

I have been very curious with how COVID will play a role with this year's recruitment season! I sense that much hasn't changed. I would have thought there would have been a steep decline (perhaps in certain countries). I heard some schools finding that they have an insane amount of applicants for certain positions, wanted to see what the 'feel' was like among the community.

@Shadowjack must be nice to have a low turnover! I wonder if more people are inclined to buckle in and stay... during times of uncertainty!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I think if you are a school where staff senses there is a vision, where they feel things are moving forward and contributions are valued, and there is a sense of community, that teachers are more willing to stay. It's not just about the security (although it is a factor), but also about the alignment with vision and values of the teachers with the school. I am feeling really chuffed that staff feel good and want to stay - it's a turnaround from a few years back.
unsure

Post by unsure »

sid wrote:
Certification only
> matters as a tick box item, so we can get you a visa. Otherwise I don’t care so much.

It's true that there are some great teachers that don't have certification, and some ropey ones that do. However just a short anecdote. When I asked the Head at the best international school I ever worked in what he'd done to improve the school, he replied, "Simple. I got rid of the unqualified teachers, and put the ones that were teaching outside their subject back in it." He'd been head of school in 3 different regions and has since retired. It ran like a smooth machine, and everybody knew exactly what they were doing. Parents and students loved the place.

I've since worked in several famous 'tier 1' schools with heads that have the same view as sid's. They've been great places to work, and I've really enjoyed them, but none of them have quite felt as effective - or frankly as good quality - as that first school.