Teaching Contract

mostonwilky

Teaching Contract

Post by mostonwilky »

Hi
I teach in Kuwait and have been offered a job at another school again in Kuwait. My contract of employment makes no mention of notice periods and I don’t really understand my position if I were to hand in my resignation.
Any help would be appreciated.
I can send photos of contract if necessary.
sid

Re: Teaching Contract

Post by sid »

We can’t help you. You need to find out from your school what their practice is. Some schools don’t have a notice period at all. You’re expected to finish the contract.
Be careful in Kuwait. Your current employer could make things very difficult for you if you try to switch schools mid contract.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

We can help you. First, youre not a slave despite what @Sid may want you to believe. Second, did you just start this fall is so your under probation for the first 100 days and if so, you can leave without notice or any penalty. Third, if your contract is not specific in terms of employment you only need to give 90 days notice, and youd still be eligible for any end of service payment. Fourth, If you have a specified term contract then you can still leave, though you may have to pay the IS compensation which could be a high as what your salary would be for the amount of time left on the contract. Usually this isnt an issue because ITs just pull a runner and leave. You can get around this a number of ways you can claim the IS violated some provision of the contract or labor law, which would allow you to leave the IS immediately. Most ISs just wont fight it. The other option is you can basically get yourself dismissed by not reporting for work. Fifth, Once youve severed your relationship with the IS they are obligated to provide you a release. If they wont or dont then your options are to 1) File a complaint with the Ministry of Labor. 2) Leave Kuwait and re-enter on a new visa and permit.

I wouldnt advise talking to your IS yet, you may want to talk with your future new IS first and get their perspective and potentially their support.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

@mostonwilky

When does this other school want you to start?
If it's August 2021 you might have an easier time switching schools even if it's mid-contract, since your current school will still have ample time finding a replacement (especially now, with so many ITs looking for jobs), and they will be less likely to hold a grudge.
Kuwait is not a country where an expat can always expect the labor law being properly enforced, so as Sid said you might want to be careful. That being said, much depends on your leadership team and your relationship with them.
Psychometrika

Post by Psychometrika »

Make sure your new school knows your situation and is willing to sponsor you for a new visa if needed. If you are leaving in the middle of the year there’s a chance your old school may not sign off on your release and you may need to leave Kuwait and re-enter. The old school might even withhold salary to cover recruiting costs as well.

Keep in mind Kuwait is a country under rule of wasta as much as law, so make sure your new school is willing to go to bat for you if the old one decides to create trouble.
mostonwilky

Post by mostonwilky »

Many thanks for your replies.