Good locations for LGBTQ+

gihamil24

Good locations for LGBTQ+

Post by gihamil24 »

Hi, I'm currently in the process of applying to international schools. I'm a single, queer woman, so a good lgbtq+ scene is pretty essential. I'm quite flexible with location but would prefer somewhere in Asia. Any insight into good locations?
Heliotrope

Re: Good locations for LGBTQ+

Post by Heliotrope »

Taiwan comes to mind, having legalised same sex-marriage last year, and being host to the biggest Pride parade in Asia after Tel Aviv.
However, while lesbian, gay, bisexual (LGB) rights in Taiwan are regarded as the most progressive in Asia, in some respects transgender rights are more conservative in Taiwan than in some other Asian countries.

Singapore would another option, but same-sex sexual activity between males is still illegal, even if consensual and committed in private.
Singapore is generally quite conservative, and they don't have any anti-discrimination protections for LGBT people. Despite this, LGBT events (such as Pink Dot) are being organized, with increasing attendance. Attitudes towards members of the LGBT community are slowly changing and becoming more accepting and tolerant, especially among young people.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Thailand right off the bat.
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

You may find the ISR discussion board, Alternative Lifestyles Overseas of interest.

https://internationalschoolsreviewdiscu ... 09/19/764/
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Agree with Heliotrope and Shadowjack.
Taiwan is your best bet.
Thailand would be my #2.
Singapore is ok but could do a lot better.
Nepal is also a decent option as well as Hong Kong, Japan, and Cambodia.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

And Vietnam
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Somewhere other than China....