Reference requests

kellysensei

Reference requests

Post by kellysensei »

Are anyone else's references getting frustrated with so many reference requests? I feel like I'm annoying people. Over the spring and summer, I asked three people to write letters of reference for me. Then I registered with ISS-Schrole and they were sent a reference request. Then I registered with GRC and they were sent another reference request. Now I want to apply to a school that uses a whole different application system and, once I enter reference names, it's going to send them yet *another* reference to fill out. I just don't think my current principal wants to fill out a fourth form this week when we are making the switch to distance learning and she is already stressed to the max.

How are people dealing with all the reference requests? Are you sending requests to different people so that one person doesn't have to fill out multiple forms for you?
expatscot

Re: Reference requests

Post by expatscot »

Just a thought….

I wonder if you could contact the school where you are applying just now, and ask if the reference could be taken after interview or if they would accept it with a delay - if you explain the situation to them and that your head is busy setting up online learning again, a reasonable person would understand that (and I'd wonder whether I'd want to work there if they didn't accept that as a good reason!)
kellysensei

Post by kellysensei »

Actually, it turns out this application system didn't specifically require an admin reference, so I just entered my school's instructional coach and one of my colleagues, and that was enough to allow me to proceed with the application. I can always give them my principal's contact info later, if I get to the interview stage.

I hope I am done having to fill out reference requests!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

This is one reason why people sign up with an agency and stick with it - everything stays on file. If you've been with Search for 15 years over 4 positions, you have sets of parent and admin references, police checks, etc that are stored and available so you don't have to do them again.

Asking for a written letter of reference is more old school now that you can permanently store references in the cloud via your chosen agency.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You could just use a dummy email to get by the application and supply open letters prior to a discussion of an offer.
Premium agencies do have value and this is one of them, but that repository is worthless if the IS isnt repped by your particular agency and/or they have their own application system.