Applying to schools in husband's home country

swalalala

Applying to schools in husband's home country

Post by swalalala »

Hi all. My husband and I are looking to potentially move to his home country for a number of reasons. There are very few international schools there, but they are considered good schools and there would probably be some competition in getting a job. I have seen some positions open and want to start applying ASAP as this is really the only way I can teach in his country.

My question is- would it be beneficial to somehow mention I am married to a national of that country in my cover letter? I have heard of people mentioning their spouse/kids in their cover letter, but I have never written about it in a cover letter before. I have always applied through recruiting sites that have this information stored, but I will be applying to these schools via email with a cover letter and CV only.

I can see some pros and cons of mentioning it and wanted to get your advice. I can see it potentially being beneficial, but I am also concerned about only being offered a local contract. Should I mention his nationality or not? And if so, any advice on how to do it smoothly?

Thanks
buffalofan

Re: Applying to schools in husband's home country

Post by buffalofan »

When they ask if you have any questions at the initial interview, I would bring it up then. Some schools will automatically make you a local hire in this case, and they will ask about your dependent situation before offering a contract anyway. If they won't give you an expat contract, you can tell them nicely where to shove their local hire offer. This may result in them eventually offering you an expat contract anyway, or moving on from you.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

God no. The instant you note you have a husband who is a national, you are a local hire. Even if you recruit as an international hire, once your husband is 'revealed' your contract might change after the initial period.

If you don't need the fringe benefits of housing, etc, then mention it. If not, don't - just that you are married. I hope your husband has two nationalities so you can present his 'other' passport?
swalalala

Post by swalalala »

Thanks everyone. No, this is his only nationality so the school would figure it out anyway. I wondered if it would seem strange to not mention it at all and then have them find out.

I suppose I could also just apply on my own since he is a national anyway and wouldn't need a visa if I were to get a job.
sid

Post by sid »

Danger zone.
If you don't reveal it, and it has any impact on you getting benefits you wouldn't get if his nationality were known, then you are omitting material information. If and whenever the school finds out, you could lose your job. Some on here will say it's none of the school's business, and I won't even get into whether it should or shouldn't be, but the truth is that you'll be at risk if you don't reveal.
I watched a teacher get fired immediately and have to move home within the week for concealing that their spouse had gotten a divorce and taken the children, but had kept taking the benefits. The unwarranted benefits were deducted from the final paycheck, which ate up all of what would have been a sizeable parachute. That was in a school, like many are these days, that was part of a larger network. It wasn't the Principal or the Director who decided, it was the mama organization, which cared more about sending a message than about whether one of many schools lost a teacher mid year.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

True Sid. But it doesn't seem there are kids, so she could technically hire as a single hire...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It would probably help you in getting an appointment, however youre also then more likely to only receive a LH package as a result.

Its none of the ISs business what your personal life is. The issue really is how prepared are you to keep your private life private, and not co-mingle your spouse with your IS. You dont have kids so tuition/fee waivers/places arent an issue, and if your spouse has their on insurance then it really comes down to housing and if the IS provides it to you directly or gives you an allowance. If its an allowance than youre more distance from your IS than if the IS provides you an apartment/flat and where that apartment/flat is. Otherwise the only really remaining issue is your ability to keep it private and that means no wedding, engagement ring at work, and being rather standoffish about your personal life because your IS is bound to have at least one busy body and ITs and other staff will naturally inquire. If you can do that though theres no reason with the right IS OSH package you cant collect it.