US License Renewal

Alexandru

US License Renewal

Post by Alexandru »

So, my Minnesota teaching license expires in six months, and after looking at the renewal requirements, I'm not sure that the international school I'm working at has provided PD for the all of the categories that the renewal requires. Also, documenting clock hours is just a pain in general. I was looking at this site (https://c0arw235.caspio.com/dp/b7f93000 ... 534b8eba0c) to see which states don't require additional assessments for teachers who want to transfer their license, because I don't want to have to do that either. Lastly, I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to lose my MN license in exchange for one from a different state, even if it would mean that I would only have to pay a fee every few years to renew it. Does anyone have experience doing this or can offer any advice? Oh, I have a four-year Bachelor degree in Education and a Master's degree in Education as well. Not sure if that matters. Thanks!
marieh

Re: US License Renewal

Post by marieh »

I transferred my Florida license to New Jersey because 1. I will never teach in Florida and 2. New Jersey has permanent licenses that don't require renewal. I did this 3 years ago, so things may have changed, but the process at the time was extremely straightforward and took about 2 months. It may be something you want to look into if your state has a reciprocity agreement with NJ.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The first option to look at would be QTS (assuming you compete an EPP/ITT program), its from the UK. The application is super easy and convenient to apply for and its a lifetime credential that doesnt require renewal or PD and has no exam assessment. It would work best if your teaching area is in the same background as your academic preparation. You cant add specific endorsements by examination, etc. The cost is zero, and it takes about a week or two to process and issue.

Second, would be the NJ Standard credential, you need two years successful KS/K12 experience. The NJ DOE has a lot of discretion what they will accept in terms of acceptable experience, but if granted its a lifetime credential that doesnt require renewal. There is no assessment requirement as long as you have a professional grade credential. Even if you dont, this option 'fails safe" all of the NJ credentials are lifetime credentials, even if you ended up with a CEAS, you wouldnt have to continue with PD in the future.

Third would be Washington (the state). They offer a professional grade Residence credential. Assuming you competed an EPP/ITT program, there is no experience requirement and while they do have a assessment requirements they accept the MN MTLE exams. This credential would effectively be a lifetime credential as you wouldnt work in WA.

Fourth would be CA. It requires two years of experience, and you would have to obtain a ESOL credential or endorsement prior to applying (added endorsement likely by taking an exam). Its a 5 year credential that requires no PD to renew. CA is the gold standard in IE US curriculum.
Alexandru

Re: US License Renewal

Post by Alexandru »

Thank you for the replies. I will look into those options.