US to England QTS Question

anonteach

US to England QTS Question

Post by anonteach »

I've looked through a lot of the forum threads for this beforehand, but I haven't seen anyone matching my situation so I figured I'd make my own thread.
I am a first year teacher in Hawai'i. I attended school on the east coast of the US, and received a double bachelor's in history and secondary education. I currently have a provisional license (NASDTEC Level 2).

When I look online I see this from Hawaii DoE website: What does “fully licensed” mean? Hawaii’s Provisional, Standard or Advanced licenses are considered full state licensure for the purposes of ESSA.

Do I need to teach for three years and get the "professional" license (NASDTEC Level 3) before this equates to a QTS?

If it doesn't equate now, should I move to Maryland and get a position and a "full license" there?

Or should I apply to one of the teacher training courses that would involve me going to school in the UK? If I were to go that route, how likely are they to accept an American citizen, and what are the chances I get one of the "QTS with salary" positions?

I appreciate any help, thank you all for your time :)
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

How did you qualify for the HI Provisional (entry grade) credential? You had to have completed either an EPP/ITT program, or obtained a provisional credential, or some serendipity happened and someone at HTSB thought your major in edu meant you had competed an EPP program.

"Fully Licensed" means that you have a "regular" credential that authorizes you to provide instructional services in the regulated KS/K12 edu system. That the credential is inclusive in scope, without limitation or restrictions within the scope of the duties inscribed on the certificate and was obtained independently of any enjoined sponsorship or term and is not contingent on other factors.

Yes you will need to complete three years of teaching in HI before you are eligible for the HI Standard (professional grade) credential. The TCL/TRA will not award QTS on the basis of the HI Provisional credential. By that time however the TCL/TRA may (likely) require a letter verifying your field experience and the talk is that they may go further and require verification of a formal EPP/ITT program by that time.

Sure? MD calls all of its regular credentials "professional" and the SPI and SPII are professional grade credentials that would likely qualify for QTS (assuming you get by the field experience requirement), but to qualify for them you need to have competed an EPP/ITT program or have 3 years of KS/K12 teaching experience under another states credential. You would also need a job in a MD regulated DS to qualify and MD isnt really hurting for noob history DTs. Even if you accomplish all of that you may not get QTS out of it. You have a much better chance with the MD SPI credential, though I dont see how youd qualify without an EPP/ITT program or the experience under the HI credential.

You would be better off doing AO in HI where you have a classroom to get QTS it will cost you half what an ITT program would cost you and be much faster, though if you take the AO route you will be an NQT and have to do induction, which if you go the HI or the MD route you wont.

They would likely accept you into a PGCE program. I highly doubt youd find a SD program that would sponsor you for history, the US view of history and the UK one are 'different'.
Salaried SD for a DT in history with a year of experience from the US, your chances are for all practical (for that matter technical and theoretical purposes) are so near to zero that theyre zero.
anonteach

Re: US to England QTS Question

Post by anonteach »

"How did you qualify for the HI Provisional (entry grade) credential? You had to have completed either an EPP/ITT program, or obtained a provisional credential, or some serendipity happened and someone at HTSB thought your major in edu meant you had competed an EPP program."

Sorry I should have been clearer - my university had it's EPP embedded into the degrees.
EDIT: The reason I would be looking into the teacher training in England is to become QTS certified more quickly than in another 2.5 years.

Your TL; DR is that I'm pretty much stuck here for another 2 years?

Thanks for your advice :)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@anonteach

What is the status of the original credential (if you obtained one) from your ITT/EPP program at Uni?

Oh gosh no youre not stuck for 2.5 more years. You have several options:
At the top would be the Washington (the state) Residence (professional grade) credential. It has the benefit that it would be a functional lifetime credential assuming you never work in WA. You only need to verify completion of the EPP program, a Bachelors/First degree (transcript) a CRB and a basic skills and content professional edu exams, they accept a lot of states exams (including PRAXIS). You can use this to obtain QTS as an OTT.
Next would be Texas, you would have to likely take two edu exams (the TeXas exams, one content and one meds/peds/asst exam) the credential is valid for 5 years and is renewable (with PD). The advantage of this option is that Texas only has one Standard (professional grade) credential, it doesnt have an entry grade or advance grade credential (subject to some debate), you cant end up stuck with an entry grade credential. You would be eligible for QTS with this credential.
Next would be DC their requirements are similar to WA, except you have to take an extra (for a total of three exams) a meds/peds/asst exam (PRAXIS) which you may have already taken. The Standard (professional grade) credential they would issue would be valid for 4 years and is renewable (with PD). You will probably be asked to submit a letter from your field experience for QTS. PRAXIS is the most common professional edu exam requirement.
There are some other option but they arent better than the ones above. If you dont go the WA route than in two years you would be eligible for the CA CLEAR (professional grade) credential its the gold standard in IE US curriculum and the 5 year credential is renewable but requires no PD. In 3 years youd be eligible for the NJ Standard (professional grade) credential it is a lifetime credential.