chances for newbie teaching couple

IE_sciteacher

Re: chances for newbie teaching couple

Post by IE_sciteacher »

Bilingual schools are T4 with regards to the international-ness. As far as packages, work-life balance etc they range from T3 to high T2, however the average would be T3. At bilingual schools, you follow the Chinese system much more closely as far as curriculum, holidays and teaching style. Also, the school may give you less support with transitions and setting up day-to-day life like housing, banking and taxes. However, all of those can be figured out with help from the local teachers at your school and a translation app.

I know people who have had no problem working at bilingual schools, while others have struggled there.

TIP for looking for schools: go through the sports leagues to find less publicized schools that still interact with the bigger schools. Generally, if they play in the same sports/activities leagues they will not be too different. ACAMIS, and SISAC (Shanghai), Pearl River Delta Conference and ISAC (Beijing and Tianjin) are examples.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@waybuloo

Well you will have the two years experience by the time youre applying for a visa. For your spouse the two years experience is not only bendable its very broad what is considered experience for an IT and would accept anything from ESOL experience, to corporate training, to tutoring. Your spouse could easily pad their resume a little to make that extra year if they really needed to, your spouse could even count their PGCE year if they wanted to spin it that way.

Bilingual ISs are tier 3 as well, the third tier is pretty big, there is no tier 4. Those IS can also have some benefits, such as relaxed asst, a lot of freedom in the classroom, lite documentation, and very unlikely to raise concerns if your meds/peds consists of little more than direct teach/lecturing, etc..

With your language background I doubt you will have transition problems with day to day activities such as banking.

I concur with @IE_sciteacher about going through the sports clubs/leagues, but your going to have to be there to really work that angle.