applying for the same position on multiple sites

math-teacher

applying for the same position on multiple sites

Post by math-teacher »

I have noticed that some schools that I want to work at are on multiple job boards and was wondering if it is bad practice to apply to the school using multiple job boards?
sid

Re: applying for the same position on multiple sites

Post by sid »

Won’t help you. Could annoy the school. No recruiter wants to be handling the same application multiple times, cross checking against different platforms and potentially having to argue with the agencies when they each try to charge a placement fee if you’re hired.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Agree with @sid
I once heard a recruiter at a previous school complain about a candidate who did that. He thought the candidate was just applying to as many schools as possible, and that they failed to realise they had already sent an application to our school through another platform.
Choose the platform you think will give you the best chance of getting an interview.
marieh

Post by marieh »

Agree with both @sid and @Heliotrope. Applying through multiple platforms means that I have to spend more time cross-checking references/materials. I also run the risk of having to argue about how I "found" the candidate to avoid being double billed for hiring them.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

I applied to my current school (which I have not yet arrived at due to Covid) through Schrole, but I actually interviewed and got the job at Search.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You should ABSOLUTELY pursue applications though however many application routes the IS advertises on. The reason being you have no idea what they are doing in terms of their screening process.

1) One vacancy posting might go to HR email another posting goes to executive leadership.
2) These individuals/departments/roles might be filtering emails and applications into different folders that get various levels of review. Applications coinciding with a fair and from the hosting premium agency might get immediate attention by the recruiters and leaders at the fair when the application comes through that agencies portal. Applications from the IS website might go into a different folder that doesnt get looked at before the IS hires someone.
3) The IS may have very different policies regarding how applications are reviewed. They might save a premium agency such as SA with a high placement fee for last to avoid that fee. Contrary they might be hiring fast, and value those closed references and go to those applications first.
4) You never know how some staff member of the IS is going to advocate an application. Someone in HR might remember a standout application to them that gets upfront because that individual gives it special attention, the same goes with another member of the faculty or staff.