What are the chances at Frankfurt International School? Need some advice from the pros!!!

PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

For whatever the opinion of one HR person is worth...
The biggest stumbling block is that the LW is only interested in one IS, its very narrow job search.
There is no utility in being open to positions and ISs/DSs you wouldnt take or accept an offer from.
I would concur with @Thames Pirate, the German (as well as much of the EU) has a demand for DTs, but teaching at one just isnt like your going to find teaching at an elite tier IS. You can get foreign credentials recognized and the burden is often demonstrating host language proficiency, which wouldnt be as much an issue.

@Thames Pirate

I didnt say or state it wasnt. I stated it wasnt worth very much at an AS such as FIS, not that it was worth nothing.
cbadnc

Re: What are the chances at Frankfurt International School? Need some advice from the pros!!!

Post by cbadnc »

Thanks Thames Pirate! Could you give me more information about teaching at a German public school, or just point me in the right direction? We had read that there was a shortage of teachers in schools, but we always figured that the bureaucratic hurdles to teach in the public schools would be too substantial.

I guess we would consider moving even if only one of us had a position at the school. The one without the position could substitute and eventually get a position. Concerning teaching German at an IS in Germany, I have heard and found that when hiring, the administration really did see it as a bonus that I spoke German when I was hired. It does still seem odd that they would hire an American to teach German in Germany!

Thanks again for all of your comments and advice! Happy New Year to all!
Verano

Re: What are the chances at Frankfurt International School? Need some advice from the pros!!!

Post by Verano »

I used to work in the Frankfurt area, and our school had a very difficult time finding German Language teachers. So they hired Dutch and Austrian language teachers to teach German classes. So your wife might be able to get a job as a German language teacher at an international school. There are many in the Frankfurt area.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

cbadnc wrote:
> Thanks Thames Pirate! Could you give me more information about teaching at
> a German public school, or just point me in the right direction? We had
> read that there was a shortage of teachers in schools, but we always
> figured that the bureaucratic hurdles to teach in the public schools would
> be too substantial.

Start here: https://lehrkraefteakademie.hessen.de/l ... bschluesse

>
> I guess we would consider moving even if only one of us had a position at
> the school. The one without the position could substitute and eventually
> get a position. Concerning teaching German at an IS in Germany, I have
> heard and found that when hiring, the administration really did see it as a
> bonus that I spoke German when I was hired. It does still seem odd that
> they would hire an American to teach German in Germany!

The reasoning is that international teachers can relate better to international students and coworkers. And because domestic teachers in Germany prefer to teach in the German system and become Beamte.

>
> Thanks again for all of your comments and advice! Happy New Year to all!

Happy New Year and good luck!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with @Thames Pirate, getting into the civil service is much more attractive to German DTs than working in an IS.