How to apply as a teaching couple

cbadnc

How to apply as a teaching couple

Post by cbadnc »

Hello All,

I know this has been superficially discussed before, however I would like more in depth advice. My wife have around 15 years teaching in IB schools. Let me give a quick synopsis:

Wife: 12 years total at IBPYP Dual Immersion (German/English) school in the USA. 2 years at a Tier 2 IS in Germany.
Husband (me): 12 years IBMYP/DP school teaching IB History/German/TOK. 2 years same school in Germany teaching German as a foreign language and MYP History. The last 4 years teaching IBPYP at same Dual Immersion school as my wife.

We are possibly planning on returning to Germany next year, but are only applying to one school in Germany, the Frankfurt International School (FIS). We know our chances are slim, because this is such a great school, however we simply want to know the best way to apply.

1.How do we make the school aware that we are applying as a couple? I assume we put this into our cover letter, but do you all have any tips about how to do this?
2. The website states that in person interviews are needed. Do you all believe 1-2 Skype interviews would suffice?
3. My wife is German, my son has dual citizenship, and I am American. Also, my son would be attending the local German school instead of FIS. Do these facts enhance our chances of procuring positions?

Bonus Question: Does our experience with IB and our two years at an IS in Germany give us a chance at all?

Thank you in advance for your tips, advice, and honest opinions. Feel free to be brutally honest!
mamava

Re: How to apply as a teaching couple

Post by mamava »

We both submit cover letters and CVs for the jobs we want. The format and content of our cover letters is similar, but the wording and tone is each our own. We both indicate that we are applying as a couple and give each other's names and the positions our spouse is applying for. It's been successful for us!
cbadnc

Post by cbadnc »

Thanks so much! Can you suggest websites/experts that could assist us with our CVs and Cover Letters?
mamava

Post by mamava »

cbadnc wrote:
> Thanks so much! Can you suggest websites/experts that could assist us with
> our CVs and Cover Letters?

Hopefully, others can. For my CVs, I google searched for examples from educators. For our cover letters, again I googled, but it's a LOT of writing, rewriting, and refining so it has the right friendly/professional tone, honest and not repeating my CV. I would say I probably spend easily 12-14 hours until I get it right. I also structure it so I can easily pop information in based on each particular school--if we have a connection to someone there, if we need to comment on some aspect of the school, etc. Again, we are both doing that in our respective letters, but in our own voice.
cbadnc

Post by cbadnc »

Thanks so much! Writing cover letters is one my my least favorite things to do!!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In direct reply to your inquiry:

1) Normally I have a different response but in your scenario its easy, this is one IS, write them and ask them how to submit your application documents in terms of both of you applying.

2) Maybe 3-4 virtual interviews, but ISs fly IT candidates in and expect youre prepared for this.

3) Only if you relocate to Germany in advance and are available for an urgent vacancy. Th IS is probably going to ask why you dont want your child to attend, a simple rational that you want the language of instruction to be in German will likely suffice. Otherwise there arent any significant advantage to the factors you described.

4) Sure but its very small, the tier of IS your interested in can get 1000 applicants for a vacancy an theres no shortage of high quality candidates and your logistical factor necessitate to matching but overlapping appointments which further reduce your utility.