Requesting advice for delaying int'l job search

goldfinny1

Requesting advice for delaying int'l job search

Post by goldfinny1 »

Hello! I asked my SA associate about this, but---I haven't heard a thing back! I was hoping people on this forum may be able to give me some advice. I've decided to delay my international job search for this upcoming year due to concerns about COVID-related changes to hiring practices. So while I wait, I am really motivated to do everything I can to improve my chances.

Goal positions/countries:

--I realize a tier 1 school may not be realistic (my dream school is Anglo American in Sofia), but I'm not willing to move for a huge decrease in job quality. I prefer to stay in upper elementary (3rd-6th).
--We are somewhat limited (I know this is NOT ideal) to Spanish speaking countries + Eastern Europe (and possibly Turkey). I'm Arab-America and have spent some time in the Middle East, and don't want to make a move there. Anywhere east of that is incompatible with my husband's work schedule.

Current stats:
--Licensed teacher in US (citizen and native speaker), currently on my 6th year as a full-time elementary school teacher (4th/5th). EC-6th generalist and ESL certifications.
--Married to someone who works remotely and we have one dog we would have to bring with us.
--BA in English--since it's not education, I think this may pose visa issues for European hiring practices (but am not sure).

It seems obvious that I should use this time to get a master's to increase my competitive edge, but I'm getting very stuck trying to figure out the right move. My biggest question is whether there is a prejudice against online degrees. There are legitimate universities in my state that have accelerated online master's programs that I could have completed before my anticipated move (assuming that schools would be okay with the fact that I will not technically be finished at time of application, but will be before moving). However, I don't want to make that investment if it's seen as "less than" among high-quality schools.

If some of the better schools demonstrate preference to in-person degrees, there is a nearby university I could attend for a two-year program, but it will delay my job search by yet another year (not ideal, but open to the possibility).

Then, I wonder if there is a focus that would be particularly beneficial (the 2-year, in-person university, for example, simply has a "master's in elementary ed," but I see online programs ranging from bilingual ed to math specialization).

Thank you so much for any advice or experience you all could share with me! It is very appreciated.
shadowjack

Re: Requesting advice for delaying int'l job search

Post by shadowjack »

Just to clarify, since it is not clear. You are a licensed teacher, properly certified in your home state? That makes the difference - not the BA, or whatever.
goldfinny1

Post by goldfinny1 »

[quote=shadowjack post_id=59973 time=1603392426 user_id=98854]
Just to clarify, since it is not clear. You are a licensed teacher, properly certified in your home state? That makes the difference - not the BA, or whatever.
[/quote]

Yes, correct! I am licensed and certified in my home state. I've seen some postings in European schools that have qualifications that look like this:

"Required:
Academic Degree (s) in Education;
Valid U.S. Teaching Certificate/License (or foreign equivalent if educator credentials were earned outside the USA);"

Which made me think some countries/regions require the academic degree this as part of their ability to grant work visas to non-citizens. In any case, I'd like to pursue a master's to make myself a better candidate in higher quality schools in my preferred regions.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

A BA in English over an edu degree isnt a barrier. Many ITs especially in secondary subjects dont have degrees in edu.

Its easier to state there are regions (mostly the ME) that do not accept online degrees. There are going to be leaders and recruiters that see an online degree as inferior, and based on the applicant pool may easily be able to set that as a discriminating factor. This assumes the online degree comes from a virtual Uni as compared to a degree earned online from a Uni that has a physical program and doesnt differentiate the method of delivery on the degree or transcript.

Just what would be the loss of delaying an extra year? In general the rule is that aside from a Global Ivy a Maters is a Masters is a Masters as far as IE is concerned. If this would be the end of your academic goals (your not vested in pursuing a doctorate) then the differential value between the options youve described get incredibly small.

An advanced degree should generally do more than get you into a particular classroom, those areas tend to be leadership, librarian, counselor and Dir.Tech, there are some others, but hat youre describing are all basically C&I degree programs, which you may be able to leverage into a AP/VP/DP position a Academic Manager or Coordinator or as a subject matter HOD or Coordinator, otherwise the only value your really looking at is getting a coin increase on the salary table with a C&I Masters.

Those postings generally man that they require either a degree in education OR a professional edu credential.
goldfinny1

Post by goldfinny1 »

Thanks so much for the very helpful and thorough reply. Those answers have really addressed a lot of my questions regarding the value/implications of moving forward with a masters on the international scene--appreciate it!