British School Manila

Srovit

British School Manila

Post by Srovit »

Its early in the season, but they have several positions advertised and we are interested (teaching couple, no children, 10 years experience). I've lived in Manila previously and despite a lot of posts on here being very critical of the city, for many valid reasons, I actually quite liked it. I have a good grasp on how much we could live on in Manila. However, our current school allows us to save very well ($25k-$30k USD/yr each) whilst enjoying a comfortable lifestyle. Although there are many posts on here suggesting that there is good savings potential at BSM, our key question is whether the savings potential is comparable to or better than our current situation.

There is some information on this forum (2 years old) suggesting salaries are in the $50k-$55k range and taxes are at 30% which puts net income around $38k and I do not think we could live off $8k/year each (excluding housing, but including utilities/eating out/travel/some western luxuries). Can anyone provide more up to date salary information or (wishful thinking..!) give me an exact figure?

We don't particularly want to go through applications and interviews, wasting both our time and the schools, only to find out that the savings potential is below our current level. Whilst we would very much like to work in Manila at some point in the future; it simply is not prudent to commit to moving to a different school and country in COVID times, with all the accompanying risk that brings, for a lower savings potential. Additionally, we wouldn't want to reject the job and potentially burn our bridges with a school that is very much on our list to work at in the future, even at a lower salary, once immediate financial concerns have been alleviated.
Heliotrope

Re: British School Manila

Post by Heliotrope »

This is more a question for the paid forum, but if you're keen on living and working in Manilla, either accept a lower savings potential (still a pretty good sum though), or make lifestyle changes, or do some online or offline tutoring on the side.
If I were you I wouldn't make the move though, in the middle of a pandemic, and especially if your current salary has you on track to alleviate your financial concerns sooner than you would in Manilla.
Manilla will still be there in a few years –although you never really know with all the typhoons there, and you'll CV will be even better by then.

Just out of curiosity, since I know so many people with a very different opinion of the place: what exactly do you like about Manilla?
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Manila would be near the bottom on my list of cities. As has been mentioned already you likely won't save your desired sum.
Srovit

Post by Srovit »

Thanks for the responses. I am a member and agree this would probably have been better in that forum now that I read the guidance!

Heliotrope wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, since I know so many people with a very different
> opinion of the place: what exactly do you like about Manilla?

Yes, I know many people absolutely hate the place!

Firstly, I don't think many of the things people complain about are that bad. Expensive and useless internet? Well, expensive yes - but its been perfect when I've been there. Traffic? Well we will be walking or cycling to work anyway. Realistically, we would mostly be travelling between BGC and Makati, so if traffic is bad then you can just walk it in under an hour. I quite enjoy long walks alone with my thoughts or chatting. Then, if you are going further to say Manila Bay area and get stuck, you'll be in an air conditioned grab at a very reasonable cost. Quite content to just sit there and wait in those circumstances. Pollution? Well, no worse than other Asian countries. Power cuts? Typhoons? They just don't bother me.

Secondly, there are many things I like about the place. The people are incredibly friendly and there's a US influence that extends to the food/brands/restaurants. I found it easy to get quality western meal options in Manila compared to our current Asian location. Filipino food is terrible overall, so that's a small negative compared to the rest of Asia; but the taste of home is very appealing. The prevalence of English is a big positive. It makes simple everyday tasks more manageable, but it also makes it far easier to integrate in to the community and actually make local friends. I do try and learn host languages; but its a huge barrier and, even if you do become fluent, I think there will always be a large cultural barrier in many Asian countries (ie. China/Korea/Japan). I've waffled enough, but I'll just add on that the internal travel options are fantastic too.
PsyGuy

Moderation

Post by PsyGuy »

Evaluation and review posts arent permitted in the public forum. As a member youd want to post this in the paid member forum.

You wouldnt be able to met your savings expectation unless you were very high on the IT scale (unlikely with caps) or transition to a leadership appointment, either that or youd have to supplement your income outside the IS.

I understand your position in wanting Manilla, youve been there before youd like to return and the issue others have identified and commonly related to the region, are endearing to you. Choose an IS for the region not the IS, thats why we have tiers for ISs and not for locations. I can appreciate the logistic benefits of living in an English speaking environment and proliferation of Western amenities.