Salaries in Bangkok

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@BM12

First, The medians are based on an entry level IT, which as you move to the tails is either magnified at the lower tier, or obfuscated at the upper tier such that you dont observe entry class ITs in upper tier ISs.
Second, Those are medians (mid points) not averages. As such they are more resistant to outliers and non normal curves (which salary is a skewed curve).
If you want averages than
Mean Points:
3rd Tier (lower): BT฿20K
3rd Tier (mid): BT฿40K
3rd Tier (upper): BT฿80K
2nd Tier: BT฿120K
1st Tier: BT฿160K
Elite: BT฿200k+
Your going to find more of a growth/ curve as you climb into higher tiers because there are fewer ISs overall and even fewer ITs who are on the low side of those salary scales.

@buffalofan

No those are current values. Im in agreement with @grdwdgrrrl, set aside housing and a family of 5 burn through BT฿10K/wk, thats BT฿40K/mth. A single person, in BKK, can live off half that BT฿20K/mth. What exactly is so expensive, especially when living off the economy as opposed to maintaining some boujee western lifestyle?
Ill be the first to agree with you that I couldnt live off BT฿20K/mth, Id need BT฿100K/mth discretionary coin, but I have certain rather pricey social indulgences Id engage in living in BKK, but actually just costs of day to day living, again on the economy, it really isnt that expensive?
buffalofan

Re: Reply

Post by buffalofan »

PsyGuy wrote:

> No those are current values. Im in agreement with @grdwdgrrrl, set aside
> housing and a family of 5 burn through BT฿10K/wk, thats BT฿40K/mth. A
> single person, in BKK, can live off half that BT฿20K/mth. What exactly is
> so expensive, especially when living off the economy as opposed to
> maintaining some boujee western lifestyle?
> Ill be the first to agree with you that I couldnt live off BT฿20K/mth, Id
> need BT฿100K/mth discretionary coin, but I have certain rather pricey
> social indulgences Id engage in living in BKK, but actually just costs of
> day to day living, again on the economy, it really isnt that expensive?

Well if some expats want to live the lifestyle of a typical Thai office worker (e.g. wage slave) in one of the most happening cities in the world, then by all means they should move to Bangkok and live on 20k baht/month. For most expats I knew there it was not about living a fancy western lifestyle, it was about being able to have some entertaining weekends and hop over to a beach or island once in awhile - neither of which is happening on 20k baht.

Thailand will eat you alive if you are broke. There is a reason why the government mandates a 65,000 baht/month minimum for retirees to even get a visa.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@buffalofan

Entertaining weekends and hops over to a beach/island arent necessary.