Stay or go for it?

newbieinterested

Stay or go for it?

Post by newbieinterested »

Hi everyone. I'm currently a second year teacher in the States teaching middle school ELA/SS and I'm interested in looking abroad for the 21-22 school year. I know that this is such an uncertain time, so I was wondering if other people thought it wouldn't be such a great idea to try to break into the international teaching world. I'd like to think I'm a decent candidate for some mid-tier schools - I am young, would be going alone/no dependents, I'll have two years of experience, and I did part of my student teaching abroad in a European international school. I'm not really interested in going to Europe at this point in time (nor do I think I'd even have a chance at finding a job there), but I'm pretty flexible as to where I'd like to go. I think Eastern/Southern Asia would be ideal, but honestly I'm not really set on any location. However, I'd only have two years of experience and it's not like English teachers are exactly uncommon. So I'm feeling hesitant about that.

I'm sorry if this post is repetitive/a common question! I just wanted to get some more insight before I really buckled down and started looking because I'd likely use SA and/or ISS which cost money. Any advice/knowledge would be super helpful!
marieh

Re: Stay or go for it?

Post by marieh »

The only way to know is to attend a fair and/or start reaching out to schools and see what happens. If you're willing to If you're willing to keep your options open in regards to location, I am sure you can find something.

Also, ISS doesn't cost very much.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

First, Your a decent candidate for third tier ISs, the same as other Entry class ITs would be though slightly advantage on logistics factors, and you have some prior IE (field work) experience (in Europe no less). You only have lower secondary, no SLL experience, so closer to a ash but still slightly advantaged.

Second, Are you getting coin for this middle DS? If so and its anything like a salary add SA, ISS (Schrole Advantage) and TIE and its a few hundred USD. Thats like nothing (and the SA fee that comprises most of that few hundred is for multiple years).

Third, Its not an 'or" thing. It really costs you very little to recruit, and you dont have to accept anything. You can use the services, see what attention your applications and profile gets and use it as research data for the future, its not 'recruit or bust or die trying'. If something amazing happens you can accept and commend yourself for taking the risks and spending the time, and if not, nothing you want becomes available, or you just dont get much interest, its not the end of the world or anything you need to mind. You can continue along in your current job, adding experience and building utility and marketability until it does, and all for very little in time, resources and coin. You can casually recruit. When youre ready to put youre all into it and hit the accelerator youll be more practiced in interviews, negotiation and have a fairly well developed idea what your value is.
Illiane_Blues

Re: Stay or go for it?

Post by Illiane_Blues »

A few years ago when I was working at a good tier 2 school in a less desirable location a teacher with exactly your profile was hired. The first choice had declined the school's offer, and their second choice couldn't be reached, so she got the job. Normally the school wouldn't hire anyone with only two years experience and they preferred candidates to have international experience, but for some reason there were very few applications for that position.

And yes, it costs very little to recruit, so why not try?