Top Schools In Europe

whointheworld

Top Schools In Europe

Post by whointheworld »

Hello,

What are the top schools in all of Europe? This means salary on one hand and reputation on another. I am curious.

Thank you so much for your help.

From,

Whointheworld
PsyGuy

Moderation

Post by PsyGuy »

Naming individual ISs, especially in what is essentially a list of tier rating, isnt permitted on the public (this) forum (evaluation posts arent permitted). You would need to post your request on the member (paid) forum.
fine dude

Re: Top Schools In Europe

Post by fine dude »

Look for tier 1 schools in these cities:
a. Bucharest
b. Lausanne
c. Sofia
d. The Hague
e. Warsaw

For more information, check this out.
https://www.state.gov/assisted-schools/
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

fine dude wrote:
> Look for tier 1 schools in these cities:
> a. Bucharest
> b. Lausanne
> c. Sofia
> d. The Hague
> e. Warsaw

Also some good schools in:
f. Geneva
g. Moscow
h. Prague
i. Luxembourg
j. Budapest
k. Frankfurt
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

You can start by choosing your favorite EU country and then look up the BS and AS embassy ISs in that country.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Heliotrope wrote:
> fine dude wrote:
> > Look for tier 1 schools in these cities:
> > a. Bucharest
> > b. Lausanne
> > c. Sofia
> > d. The Hague
> > e. Warsaw
>
> Also some good schools in:
> f. Geneva
> g. Moscow
> h. Prague
> i. Luxembourg
> j. Budapest
> k. Frankfurt

I agree with all the cities/schools mentioned by Fine dude & Heliotrope.
Frankfurt might be a bit tough to save if you like to travel a lot and would like to own a car. If you're a teaching couple you'll be fine. If you are bringing along a non-working spouse and kids, strike the Swiss cities off the list, and possible also The Hague, Luxembourg and Frankfurt.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

There's also a very good post on the paid forum, that lists all the international schools most teachers agree on are Tier 1.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Disagree with @Illiane_Blues. You can get get 6 figures in Switzerland, and as demonstrated in a prior post that @Heliotrope had erred in, Switzerland beats a lot of places when you compare costs vs.coin. What @Illiane_Blues is really differentiating between is WEu and EEu, discretionary coin is better in EEu and less in the WEu, without saying as such, especially as family logistics increase, but the interest in the WEu is much greater than the EEu. ITs who want the Parisian lifestyle simply arent interested in and dont see Prague or Moscow, etc. as an acceptable or even reasonable alternative.

Its not a very accurate list actually.
Heliotrope

Re: Discussion

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Disagree with @Illiane_Blues. You can get get 6 figures in Switzerland, and
> as demonstrated in a prior post that @Heliotrope had erred in, Switzerland
> beats a lot of places when you compare costs vs.coin. What @Illiane_Blues
> is really differentiating between is WEu and EEu, discretionary coin is
> better in EEu and less in the WEu, without saying as such, especially as
> family logistics increase, but the interest in the WEu is much greater than
> the EEu. ITs who want the Parisian lifestyle simply arent interested in and
> dont see Prague or Moscow, etc. as an acceptable or even reasonable
> alternative.
>
> Its not a very accurate list actually.

@PsyGuy is of the opinion that I erred. I however believe he was mistaken. We disagreed.
There are a lot of ITs who actually lived in Switzerland who said you can't save there as an IT with a trailing spouse and kids. There's a reason they just changed the minimum wage in the Geneva canton to 25 USD per hour.
If Switzerland interests you, I recommend to do your own research, read the topic @PsyGuy is referring to, and form your own opinion about if it would be a good fit for you financially.

The list I made on the public forum is VERY accurate, because it's merely a list of schools that I've often heard/read mentioned as Tier 1 by other teachers somewhat recently. It's not my own opinion. There are some schools on there that wouldn't be Tier 1 for me, but as they are often mentioned as being Tier 1, they belong on the list. I might not have heard about some excellent schools that deserve a tier 1 designation, that's why I made clear it is 'a list of schools I've often heard mentioned as being tier 1', and nothing more.
So there's no list of tier 1 schools that will not be challenged on some entries by others, because tier 1 means something different to everyone.
Savings potential is high on most people's list though, as is reputation, so it would be a good place to start narrowing down your options.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I very much agree with the list Iliane Blues made with one exception, and that is Luxembourg.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Thames Pirate wrote:
> I very much agree with the list Iliane Blues made with one exception, and
> that is Luxembourg.

It was fine dude and Heliotrope who mentioned those cities, not me.
I do know someone who was able to to save well while teaching at the Luxembourg school, but she lived in France, which was only a 30 minute drive from school. Unsure about her lifestyle. She said you can also live in Belgium or Germany, and have the same half hour commute.
Or are you referring to the quality of the school and not the ability to save?
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Don't have Luxembourg on my list and I wouldn't work there. Lousy place and lousy people. I_B, please double check before you make sweeping statements.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

No sweeping statements. I said I know someone who was able to to save well while teaching at the Luxembourg school although commuting from France, and there's nothing false about that. She was happy enough there.
This was a few years ago though, maybe even a decade, so apparently it has changed a lot since going by your comment and that of Thames Pirate.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

ITs arent generally paid wages, but salary.
Its not a very accurate list.
Tiers arent feelings, an IT can be very happy at their tier 3 IS, its still a tier 3 IS. An IT can be very unhappy at their tier 1 IS its still a tier 1 IS.
@Heliotrope and I disagree.

I am in agreement with @Illiane_Blues, Im acquainted/associated with several ITs in Luxembourg (recently) who are very happy.
Heliotrope

Re: Discussion

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> ITs arent generally paid wages, but salary.

Yes, so?
The high minimum wage says something about the very high cost of living.
US minimum wage is $7.25 an hour btw, as opposed to 25 USD in Geneva. But of course the US minimum wage is hardly a liveable wage. However, Australia's minimum wage is half of that in Geneva, and minimum wage in The Netherlands is about 44% of Geneva's.

> Its not a very accurate list.

Yes, it is. As said, it's not a list of tier 1 schools, it's a list of schools that I've often seen/heard mentioned as tier 1. Also, it's not my opinion on what schools are tier 1 - my personal list would be a bit shorter.
It's 100% accurate - the list lists all schools I've often heard mentioned as tier 1 –, and if it wasn't you wouldn't have any way of knowing, unless you are me (and I really hope you're not) (and so do I).

> Tiers arent feelings, an IT can be very happy at their tier 3 IS, its still
> a tier 3 IS. An IT can be very unhappy at their tier 1 IS its still a tier
> 1 IS.

Not disputing that.
I've been happy at all tiers.

> @Heliotrope and I disagree.

We do disagree on Switzerland and the list, not on 'tiers aren't feelings'.