PE teacher and Masters in Education - worth it

Fercho#79

PE teacher and Masters in Education - worth it

Post by Fercho#79 »

Hi (sorry for the long post)
I am a physical education teacher at an IS in India (just started my 3rd year at the school).
I am an African passport holder (non-native English speaker).
I have:
- a bachelors degree in physical education and sports (Cuba)
- D.C (OSSE) teaching license through Teach-Now
- 12 years teaching experience (IB PYP, MYP PHE, and DP Sports, Exercise and Health Science course)

I just started an online masters degree in elementary education with The College of New Jersey. I have completed four graduate courses so far. It will cost me quite a bit.
Reasons: I would like to deepen my pedagogical knowledge and strengthen my educational qualifications.

Does/will a masters degree hold any value considering all the other factors (my education and experience) when applying to schools in East Asia? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.
shadowjack

Re: PE teacher and Masters in Education - worth it

Post by shadowjack »

A MEd opens doors and increases salary. Go for it.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes, a Masters in a vast number of ISs will qualify you for a higher salary band. Sometimes its only a minor increase sometimes its a substantial increase in coin.

With the NJ program though you will probably break even on your current career trajectory and what your paying (about USD$30K). Youve been an edu for 12 years you have about 15 left in the tank, you need to make an extra USD$2K/yr each year to break even.
A Masters program should do more than what your already doing, so an option like leadership (athletic director or AP/VP/DP of sports, etc.), etc. would put you in a better position to recoup those costs and generate more long term income. If your not going to do that, than a program with a Uni thats going to provide you greater opportunities (such as the Oxford M.Sc in Teacher Education), or a much cheaper program (Uni. Portsmouth, UPe).