GRC

kellysensei

GRC

Post by kellysensei »

I had not heard of GRC (Global Recruitment Collaborative) until this month. Does anyone have experience with this site/company? Has anyone connected with schools and gotten a job through them?

I am about to register with them - it's free, after all - but I'm wondering if they will immediately contact my references when I do? Their FAQ makes it sound like they send a confidential reference form to references as soon as you register, but I haven't told my current principal that I'm job hunting yet (she's got enough on her plate with COVID stuff), so I'm thinking I need to keep her off my reference list, then, for the time being...?
indogal

Re: GRC

Post by indogal »

I used them last year and found a great job. The school has been wonderful throughout this whole COVID nightmare. I believe you need to have worked at another one of the GRC schools in order to register. This way you are somewhat vetted, in that you worked for a reputable school and completed your contract. I found it to be much more competitive than a Search fair, since many people already had a lot of connections and had worked at top tier schools. I believe they do contact your references straight away once you register. Hope this helps!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

When they first started thy were basically a collection of a handful of ISs trying to get around SA and doing their on little show. They have successfully evolved beyond that.
GRC and SA had/have some really strong animosity between each other, they really are just an end round around SA. SA had some pretty strong language, directed at both ISs and ITs, that amounts to, if youre repped by us, and you are hired you owe SA. Thats a lot more talk then action though, at worst for practical purposes is SA refuses to rep you in the future. They have done that.

They contact your references, specifically your current HOS immediately, GRC operates with transparency for both IS and IT. You really cant stealth recruit using GRC.
booboo14

Post by booboo14 »

Their school list appears quite extensive. If a school is on there does it mean they are no longer on Search?
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

You are required to register with your school email address, and I believe your current Head is auto-notified when you do this. If you are looking to job hunt under the radar, GRC is not going to work.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

booboo - most schools at GRC also still belong to Search or ISS.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

GRC has more of a casual dating approach where the admin is just warming up before they finalise their choices in BKK and London. If you are an expert teacher and get hired, that's more of you being an outlier. A grass-is-greener approach applies to leadership teams, too.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@booboo14

No, many ISs recruit using GRC and SA. SA mostly lost the battle, the issue of invoicing for which hires is mostly between the associates and the ISs.

GRC is mostly an organized approach to early recruiting.
booboo14

Post by booboo14 »

As a teacher, if I were to sign up with them, would that cut my relationship with Search?

I have built up some confidential references so I am hesitant to abandon them.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

booboo14 wrote:
> As a teacher, if I were to sign up with them, would that cut my
> relationship with Search?

No.
And why even tell them?
indogal

Post by indogal »

I was registered with both Search & GRC. GRC was great for the job fair, but it was still worth it to me to keep my account with Search because they seem to have the more information about the schools (even if it is self reported and not always entirely accurate) than any other organisation.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@booboo14

No, the issue isnt recruiting its the coin in invoicing. SA makes coin on placements, not on your fee. Absolutely, dont tell them, but that has its own issues. You get hired by a GRC IS, both the IT and the IS are also registered with SA. What do you do with your SA profile? If you close it, your associates going to ask who hired you, they invoice the IS, the IS declines, your associate then gets it in their head to send you the invoice or thy wont repp you in the future. You contact the associate and they just tell you theyre sorry, but they have to make a living too, and then maybe they tell you to lean on the ISs leadership. Maybe you dont tell them at all you keep your profile open for three years, now theres maybe a whole bunch of things bouncing in their head, like youre dead weight, your sucking up resources and time, but you cant find a job for three years, how are you feeding yourself? Maybe your not worth having a file and they drop you, or they think theres something deeper thats wrong with you. Maybe they dont drop you the first time around, but how long can you do that 6 years, 9 years? So do you tell SA and risk being put in the position of paying the full placement fee, or do you just vanish and hope no one at SA notices or cares. There are risks, though minor risks, either way.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

indogal wrote:
> I believe you need to have worked at
> another one of the GRC schools in order to register.

I don't think this is true, but not 100% sure.
I've heard it before, but I've also heard of someone working at a non-GRC school that registered with GRC and got hired through one of their fairs.
mamava

Post by mamava »

Illiane_Blues wrote:
> indogal wrote:
> > I believe you need to have worked at
> > another one of the GRC schools in order to register.
>
> I don't think this is true, but not 100% sure.
> I've heard it before, but I've also heard of someone working at a non-GRC school that
> registered with GRC and got hired through one of their fairs.

When it started out, that was true--it was a small coalition of schools that could more quickly and easily hire teachers based on the fact they were already working at reputable schools and hence had likely been pretty vetted at that point. Now, you don't need to have worked at one, but the immediate school notification is true. You wouldn't be able to do an early contract commit and then quietly continue looking for work, the way you might be able to do with Search.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

> When it started out, that was true--it was a small coalition of schools that could
> more quickly and easily hire teachers based on the fact they were already working at
> reputable schools and hence had likely been pretty vetted at that point. Now, you
> don't need to have worked at one, but the immediate school notification is true.

Thanks. Good to know!