Teaching in Japan

kieksss

Teaching in Japan

Post by kieksss »

Hi Everyone,

I am a qualified Music Teacher currently in an International School in Hong Kong. My boyfriend has just been offered a job in Tokyo so I am looking to relocate there.

I have been researching about teaching in Japan but would like to ask a few more questions:
1 - From what I've gathered a lot of jobs require you to currently reside in Japan, that means taking a risk and handing in my notice before I have a job, has anyone had experience with this?
2 - I am open to teaching English in a learning centre for a year whilst we get set up, do you think this would affect my ability to get a job in an International School in the future?
3 - What is the expected salary for a teacher in an IS (I have 7 years of teaching at secondary school level and 3 at KG and primary)? The English teaching jobs, which I think only require a TEFL seem to be roughly around 300k yen a month. Do ISs offer packages like housing allowance etc?

I understand at the moment it is difficult to enter the country due to COVID but I am looking at planning ahead.

Thanks in advance.
pgrass

Re: Teaching in Japan

Post by pgrass »

Established schools in Japan hire just like international schools in any other country. Under normal circumstances you dont already need to be in the country.

You should be looking at a basic salary of at least 500,000 yen per month. Housing should be either provided or be at least 100,000 yen per month.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

JP isnt much different from IE in general. Its cheaper to get an IT locally because you dont get an OSH package, its also logistically easier for the IS if you already have a work visa. You will find a lot more opportunities in JP if youre a local. JP is a highly desired location, and they have generally low turnover and thus a smaller pool of vacancies.

You can do anything for about a year and not have it effect your marketability or utility. You may wish to add tutoring g in music as a side hustle a well.

Around ¥300K is third tier, around ¥400K second tier, around ¥500K first tier. Your OSH package should include commuting, fights, housing and a shipping allowance. ¥100K for housing for a single is rich. Around half that is more realistic. If youre hired as an LH, you will get the commuting allowance only.
kieksss

Re: Teaching in Japan

Post by kieksss »

Great, thanks for all the info!