Thoughts on Search Online Fairs

Wanderer123

Re: Thoughts on Search Online Fairs

Post by Wanderer123 »

Would Sciteach or anyone else currently registered with SA be willing to post the names of the schools planning to attend the first SEARCH fair (experienced candidates one)? I used to be registered with SA but I’m hesitant to do it again without knowing which schools will be attending. I’ve just registered with ISS Schrole and feel bad asking my referees to complete several different references. Thanks in advance!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

You can see that on the Search site - https://www.searchassociates.com/intern ... tual-fair/
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

My wife and I will be doing the October Search Fair. Just wondering how much of waste of time it is going to be. Since a lot of schools have a Nov cut off for renewals, I have a feeling that we will be talking to schools that don't really know what openings they are going to have.

We will also be doing the GRC fairs as backup, and Search London if it is still happening.

but we both have a lot of IB experience, so maybe we can bypass all of the fairs and find a job ourselves.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Speedracer,

whilst schools might not be able to hire in October, they will be looking to scout and key in on specific candidates. Many schools have tentative notices being given around mid-October with final notices being given in November - some early some late. I know schools that have changed their November date due to GRC to enable them to hire at the GRC November fair.
marieh

Post by marieh »

Speedracer - While schools may not have renewal cutoffs until November or December, there are plenty that may be short staffed because of COVID. I know that, at my school, we gave everyone the opportunity to get out of their contracts due to the location. As a result, we know going into the October fair that we have at least 3 definite positions to fill.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kellysensei

Its more than that. Its building a network and working the angles. Sure you can send out cold applications, but even then address them to the HOS and the principals. More than that though its finding out about th IS, doing some social media staking building a repertoire with those leaders based on something other than recruiting. Youre doing a paper for your graduate program you read about their approach to X and wanted to ask a few questions. Talk it up, then later come back to your in the market to make a move and you were really impressed. Create face time and stand out to them. So many ITs are very indistinct from on another and above all else fit is the most important recruiting factor.

@Wanderer123

Its published on the SA site go to the fair your interested in and click on the schools attending button on the left.

@speedracer

Huge waste of time unless its a mid year appointment or a leadership appointment.
Sol

Post by Sol »

Speedracer, I have a question for you regarding your statement below and to other Search Teacher Candidates..

"My wife and I will be doing the October Search Fair. Just wondering how much of waste of time it is going to be. Since a lot of schools have a Nov cut off for renewals, I have a feeling that we will be talking to schools that don't really know what openings they are going to have.We will also be doing the GRC fairs as backup, and Search London if it is still happening."

I am a SA teacher candidate and for some reason my invitation was declined for the Virtual October fair( I thought I registered, but apparently I missed a step with the online registration process, so my invitation was declined). Search said the October fair is now closed. I learned about the GRC fair on this forum. Will Search Associates have an issue with active members attending a different Virtual fair such as GRC in November/ December 2020? I see you are attending GRC as a back up and also SA October fair. I just want to confirm that SA does not have a problem with teacher candidates attending other recruting fairs. Since SA declined my chance to attend their SA virtual October fair, my best next option would be to consider GRC in November. I do not want to make any wrong decisions, job hunting in times of crisis already gives us plenty to worry about. Appreciate your comments. Sol
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Of course you can attend the GRC fair, and as many other fairs as you'd like.
Just because you signed up with Search Associates doesn't limit you to using them.
Also how would they even know you attended the fair?
I know people who used three different agencies at the same time to find their next school. I doubt any agency demands exclusivity when you sign up with them.

However, if a school you interview with at the GRC fair uses SA to read your confidential references, SA would claim they are entitled to the fee a school pays when they find a teacher through them.
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

[quote=Sol post_id=59643 time=1600529153 user_id=231151]
Speedracer, I have a question for you regarding your statement below and to other Search Teacher Candidates..

"My wife and I will be doing the October Search Fair. Just wondering how much of waste of time it is going to be. Since a lot of schools have a Nov cut off for renewals, I have a feeling that we will be talking to schools that don't really know what openings they are going to have.We will also be doing the GRC fairs as backup, and Search London if it is still happening."

I am a SA teacher candidate and for some reason my invitation was declined for the Virtual October fair( I thought I registered, but apparently I missed a step with the online registration process, so my invitation was declined). Search said the October fair is now closed. I learned about the GRC fair on this forum. Will Search Associates have an issue with active members attending a different Virtual fair such as GRC in November/ December 2020? I see you are attending GRC as a back up and also SA October fair. I just want to confirm that SA does not have a problem with teacher candidates attending other recruting fairs. Since SA declined my chance to attend their SA virtual October fair, my best next option would be to consider GRC in November. I do not want to make any wrong decisions, job hunting in times of crisis already gives us plenty to worry about. Appreciate your comments. Sol
[/quote]

Yeah, pretty much what @heliotrope said.
As long as your references don't mind filling out two, they don't speak to one another. The only other problem would be if I was successful in the Seach fair and went and attended the GRC fair anyway and the school that I was just hired at was also there. In that case I would need to make sure to put both of these on hold.

@psyguy
I am halfway in between. I don't mind looking into leadership (I have been a curriculum coordinator before) but not sure if a tier 1 school would hire me for that.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sol

When they first started GRC was basically a collection of a handful of ISs trying to get around SA and doing their own little show. They have successfully evolved beyond that.
GRC and SA had/have some really strong animosity between each other, they really are just an end round around SA. SA had some pretty strong language, directed at both ISs and ITs, that amounts to, if youre repped by us, and you are hired you owe SA. Thats a lot more talk then action though, at worst for practical purposes is SA refuses to rep you in the future. They have done that.

You can attend whatever recruiting events you want to. Though, youre best off not telling SA. If you do, SA will attempt to invoice the IS, they are likely to decline and your associate may then pass the invoice on to you, and indicate that if you fail to pay they will drop you, in addition they are likely to require being copied on all communication between you and the GRC IS.

GRC doesnt do general references as other agencies do. GRC requires your current HOS at your IS to "approve" your profile when you register. That "approval" is tantamount to "would you hire this person again" and its the only reference that really matters.

@speedracer

Coordinator isnt really senior leadership (could be) but the recruiting level is AP/DP/VP and higher.
Sol

Post by Sol »

@PsyGuy
*GRC and SA had/have some really strong animosity between each other, they really are just an end round around SA. SA had some pretty strong language, directed at both ISs and ITs, that amounts to, if youre repped by us, and you are hired you owe SA. Thats a lot more talk then action though, at worst for practical purposes is SA refuses to rep you in the future. They have done that.*

Oh dear!

Thank you all for your comments. So it sounds like I am safe to register with GRC in November and that I am not obligated to tell SA. I believe SA may have another virtual fair in January 2021, but I rather not wait and lose out on any opt. this fall. I hope SA will not refuse to continue to rep me if they do find out. I have no idea what to expect at the moment, other than to try and open as many doors as possible. I hope GRC schools will work with SA teacher candidates to avoid any potential conflicts between organizations. As a general rule, I assume all recruiting companies typically do not have exclusivity over their candidates that they represent. I do see a few schools that are registered with SA and GRC. Seems everyone needs to double dip wherever they can this year. Since my October SA virtual fair invite was declined by Search( a silly mistake, but they would not send a new invite because they are full), the GRC November fair would potentially be my first Virtual fair and most likely the only one I attend this fall. My one concern is that all my important papers/ confidential references, criminal background check ..everything is posted on Search and it would be easier for schools to review my SA profile. This would then as Heliorope mentioned make SA claim the fee, even if the interview was through GRC. I may be a nervous Nelly, but with PsyGuy's comments about the two organizations, I can't afford to make a mistake this year. I must find a new position and need to follow the rules as best as possible. Thank you again. Sol
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

[quote=PsyGuy post_id=59659 time=1600612100 user_id=68047]
@Sol

When they first started GRC was basically a collection of a handful of ISs trying to get around SA and doing their own little show. They have successfully evolved beyond that.
GRC and SA had/have some really strong animosity between each other, they really are just an end round around SA. SA had some pretty strong language, directed at both ISs and ITs, that amounts to, if youre repped by us, and you are hired you owe SA. Thats a lot more talk then action though, at worst for practical purposes is SA refuses to rep you in the future. They have done that.

You can attend whatever recruiting events you want to. Though, youre best off not telling SA. If you do, SA will attempt to invoice the IS, they are likely to decline and your associate may then pass the invoice on to you, and indicate that if you fail to pay they will drop you, in addition they are likely to require being copied on all communication between you and the GRC IS.

GRC doesnt do general references as other agencies do. GRC requires your current HOS at your IS to "approve" your profile when you register. That "approval" is tantamount to "would you hire this person again" and its the only reference that really matters.

@speedracer

Coordinator isnt really senior leadership (could be) but the recruiting level is AP/DP/VP and higher.
[/quote]

Fair enough. I have experience as DP coordinator, but looking into a first-time gig as AP (although I see some schools have combined that position) My problem is no credential. Although I am doing the Harvard CSML at the moment
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sol

GRC doesnt use references like other agencies do. When you register your current HOS gets an email asking if they would hire you again, its strictly a thumbs up thumbs down kind of thing. Theres nothing to upload or read, etc.

@speedracer

A leadership credential is less a need for a coordinator role. There are a lot of leadership, in even more senior roles who dont have a leadership credential. The experience matters more in terms of marktability.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

I don't get virtual fairs. Why sign up for OnlyFans when you can get the real thing? With that said, the real fairs are only good for the action after hours anyway. Cattle call otherwise.