Better to do Field Experience in US or China?

smapti

Better to do Field Experience in US or China?

Post by smapti »

I have recently received a PU letter, which allows me permission to return to China, and continue to work for my university job. Since I have been home in the US for the last 6 months, I have carried out all 7 of my Teacher Ready online lessons {the 8th lesson can only be done upon completion of your field experience}. I have also completed almost all of my exams.

I have not been hearing from anyone here in the US regarding a potential Field Experience position, even though my advisor has reached out to several schools. I recently read that it may take up to 16 weeks to find a field experience position. From my experience in China and trying to find field experience in the past {before making the decision to temporarily leave China}, the process was a lot quicker, having heard from a potential mentor within about 2 weeks.

Anyway, I wanted to seek out your opinion, because I was wondering whether you think it would be better for me to conduct my field experience here in the US, or whether I should complete it in China. My gut feeling says that it might be easier for me to secure a field experience mentorship in China.

A couple more things to add:

(1) Would I need to find 2 years of experience teaching in USA {after field experience} before I can secure a full-time job at an international school in China, or other Southeastern country? Or would it be relatively straightforward to find a full-time position overseas once my field experience is completed? {I have 10 years university ESL teaching experience, just not experience in a high school}

(2) Is it still possible to teach full time at a university WHILE completing the field experience? For instance, teaching two classes at my university in the morning, and then attending my mentorship in the afternoon?

Thanks for your input.
PsyGuy

Rsponse

Post by PsyGuy »

It could take longer than 16 weeks, maybe a lot longer.

If you have one of those magic letters you will absolutely find it a lot easier to do field experience in China, you will find a decent, even upper tier IS appointment available.
However, doing your field experience in the US is going to put you in a stronger position now and going forward in the future, especially if at a regulated DS.
First, you never know when some regulating authority decides to interpret credentialing rules requiring the field experience to be in the region or place of the EPP/ITT program. Thats the problem recently with the TCL/TRA and getting QTS.
Second, you dont really know how the potential of remote learning is going to effect the validity of your field experience. If your doing remote learning in a regulated US DS your on stronger ground then remote learning in some independent/private IS in China, especially in the field of ESOL.

The general consensus is that you need two years post credentialing experience for entry into IE. That doesnt mean you cant get a job, or find an appointment without it (making you an intern class IT). ISs arent good places for an IT to make their bones, they generally arent managed or resourced to support a growing edu, and they tend to be less forgiving, but ITs do make it work successfully. As I wrote above given the particular environment and circumstance in China right now, you would have opportunities available now in China you wouldnt otherwise, which could reasonably provide you a leap in advancement and coin.

No, the field experience must be FTE and as TOR. Generally substitute/relief/supply is not acceptable. Thats not saying there may not be an IS willing to make it happen or that it cant be accomplished with some creative scheduling. Your duty schedule is 8-4 but your not scheduled for instructional time until afternoon and your IS allow you to leave the campus during your prep or conference time in the mornings.