Applying for US Teaching Credential/License with PGCEi

AJG1990

Applying for US Teaching Credential/License with PGCEi

Post by AJG1990 »

Hey guys,

I know this has been posted about before, but I was unsure if I should start a new topic or add to an old one? Sorry if this seems like spam!

I am an Irish citizen, with an American partner, who teaches in ISs abroad. I have spent four years teaching in American curriculum schools (three in China and one in the UAE). The IS in China was accredited and I am just entering a new school in the UAE.

My education consists of:
1) A bachelor's degree in English (from a four year American institution)
2) A PGCEi (through Sunderland)
3) A master's in literature (from an Irish university)
4) A CELTA (not really useful in this case, but good to have anyway :))

Over the last couple of days I have reached out to the teaching organisation governing Hawaii and D.C. I have been exchanging information with them and will continue to. As I am not an American I do not have a social security number. The HTSB offered me a route around this and I am waiting to see if the OSSE will too.

I would really prefer to go the direct route if possible as it will be cheaper, but I am willing to go through Teach Now as I know they are very supportive through the whole process.

Based on my education and experience do you think I should:
1) Try and go direct through the HTSB and OSSE AND attain certification by myself?
OR
2) Go through Teach Now and benefit from the support they offer for the certification process and the PRAXIS exams?

Oh, and to add just a little more fuel to the fire, I have a misdemeanour conviction from 2012 (not a crime of moral turpitude and has since been sealed). Does having a misdemeanour conviction disqualify from teaching in either state?

As evidenced by my ongoing communication with HTSB, OSSE, and Teach Now (their next cohort is starting in a month) I am hoping to get the ball rolling on this soon.

I would like to thank all the contributors to this forum. This forum has helped me in other scenarios and I am glad to have joined such a helpful community.

Regards,
AG
AJG1990

Re: Applying for US Teaching Credential/License with PGCEi

Post by AJG1990 »

I guess I am just a bit distressed. Do any states 100% accept a PGCEi as a step towards certification?
Smoko

Post by Smoko »

To directly answer your question, I think you're going to have to go with option 2, because option 1 doesn't exist.

OSSE and HTSB issue teaching credentials. One of the credential requirements they have is completion of a state approved teaching program. Once you complete one of these programs (such as TEACH-NOW aka Moreland University) then you would apply directly to OSSE/HTSB using your certificate as proof you graduated from an approved program.

Unfortunately, I don't think your PGCEi or Masters count as approved programs, so I believe you would therefore need to go through Moreland. On the plus side, with your 3 years experience you could potentially skip the Praxis tests and still get a full licence from Hawaii.
AJG1990

Post by AJG1990 »

@Smoko

Thank you for the information! I believe I will join Teach Now. Have a good week :)
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You could apply through CT for a credential based on their experiential pathway. You could then teach on that for three years and professionalize the credential to the HI standard credential at some point. Then possibly using that to apply for QTS as an OTT (but it will probably be denied).

The other option would be the MA Provisional credential. You would have to travel to take the MTEL exams, but unlike CT, assuming you pass, this will get you a credential with an effective lifetime validity without needing to do PD. You could then try professionalizing it as above, though youre still not likely to get QTS out of it.

It would be less expensive to do AO (TES Institute) over TN and would actually accomplish your objective if QTS is your ultimate goal. TN will be pricey and not add a whole lot if any value based on your preparation so far. The fastest and cheapest pathway is the MA option, than attempt to professionalize that through HI.

Yes, the MA provisional route, your PGCEi will absolutely meet the requirement for the credential after passing the MTEL (because the PGCEi isnt a requirement, nor is any other traditional academic preparation beyond a bachelors/first degree) Otherwise as a foreigner (UT would be an option otherwise), there isnt a US regulating authority that you can say here my PGCEi, give me a credential. Your PGCEi really isnt worth much from a US credentialing perspective.

I disagree with @Smoko, while an EPP/ITT program is one option in HI, its not the only option, and the more useful one is possession of a credential from another regulating authority.
Smoko

Re: Response

Post by Smoko »

PsyGuy wrote:

> I disagree with @Smoko, while an EPP/ITT program is one option in HI, its
> not the only option, and the more useful one is possession of a credential
> from another regulating authority.

What part do you disagree with?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Smoko

The part where you write "One of the credential requirements they have is completion of a state approved teaching program", and this is true but then you fail to address the other options, particularly the more relevant and grater utility option of possession of another jurisdictions credential.
Smoko

Re: Reply

Post by Smoko »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Smoko
>
> The part where you write "One of the credential requirements they have
> is completion of a state approved teaching program", and this is true
> but then you fail to address the other options, particularly the more
> relevant and grater utility option of possession of another jurisdictions
> credential.

Fair point.
AJG1990

Post by AJG1990 »

@PsyGuy
@Smoko

Hey guys,

I received my provisional Mass license recently. I studied for the relevant tests, flew to the US to take them, waited for my results, and then applied for the provisional license. It does not have an expiration date, but is valid for five years of employment starting when I'd begin working in Mass. All in all, I'd say I spent about $2,000 combined. The vast majority of this cost coming from international flights (which aren't cheap at the moment).

I'm happy, at least for now, that I chose this route over TeachNow. I studied for the MTELs for about two months using study.com. That was about $30 per month. I know most people don't study for the MTELs for that long, but I didn't want to leave anything to chance. I'm also happy I could avoid the year-long busy work of TeachNow.

If anybody has any questions about the process I'm more than happy to help.

Thanks again for the guidance guys!

Take care and stay safe.