LinkedIn

kabdurr

LinkedIn

Post by kabdurr »

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here and am examining the options of changing schools ( currently already in the mid-east and possibly heading to Doha. A friend said to update my LinkedIn account as this helps land a job. Excuse my ignorance but is this really necessary? Can the old school way of a CV, cover letter and Skype interview still work? Or am I just behind the times? I'm looking at the QF's Leadership Academy and Swiss Int'l Schools as top choices. Any recent word on the salary/ housing benefit for those like me (IB chemistry, masters, science teacher of 15 years with a family in tow?) I suspect this is a bad year to change but am kind of tired of where I am at. Thanks for your feedback.
FromTheRooftops

Re: LinkedIn

Post by FromTheRooftops »

Re Linkedin, I think you're right that traditional methods absolutely do work, but tidying up your social media is a good step to take. You might not use Linkedin to apply for jobs, but it can't hurt as another place to be. I've heard of many people following up an application by reaching out to administrators directly over Linkedin, a way to circumvent the "jobs@school.com" email address.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Furthering that, LinkedIn is one of the places recruiters and schools will go to check you out as part of the process. Social media checks are becoming more and more de rigeur.
kabdurr

Post by kabdurr »

Thanks so much for your responses. That's very helpful. Have a great year!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Traditional application and resume is the standard means of application in IE. Of course there are always exception and there are ITs who got appointments based on a social media or professional profile.

I concur with @SJ, checking an applicants social media including LinkedIn is becoming common, but you dont need one, and an absence of one will not effect negatively your application.