Quick resume questions

kellysensei

Quick resume questions

Post by kellysensei »

I'm polishing up my resume and want to know, is it appropriate and/or advantageous to include my photo (headshot) in the top corner? Or should I leave it out, as a teacher resume-writing book I'm reading advises? (The book I'm reading is aimed at US schools, not international schools.)

Also, is it okay to include a splash of color in the bullet points or headings, or should it always be totally black and white? I'm currently using Novoresume, and most of their resume templates use some degree of color, which to me, looks classy and helps me stand out, but maybe others have different opinions...?

One more thing - should I include contact information for my current and previous principals on the resume, or omit them to save space and know that the school will ask for that info if they want it?

Thanks!
Heliotrope

Re: Quick resume questions

Post by Heliotrope »

Adding a photo is normal when applying at international schools.
Using color is ok if you prefer to do so.
References are usually included.
just.the.truth

Post by just.the.truth »

kellysensei wrote:
> I'm polishing up my resume and want to know, is it appropriate and/or
> advantageous to include my photo (headshot) in the top corner? Or should I
> leave it out, as a teacher resume-writing book I'm reading advises? (The
> book I'm reading is aimed at US schools, not international schools.)
>
> Also, is it okay to include a splash of color in the bullet points or
> headings, or should it always be totally black and white? I'm currently
> using Novoresume, and most of their resume templates use some degree of
> color, which to me, looks classy and helps me stand out, but maybe others
> have different opinions...?
>
> One more thing - should I include contact information for my current and
> previous principals on the resume, or omit them to save space and know that
> the school will ask for that info if they want it?
>
> Thanks!

Here are some great tips from Search Associates. I found them super helpful!
https://www.searchassociates.com/news-e ... dium=email

And this. Nick is awesome by the way.
https://www.searchassociates.com/associ ... k-kendell/

Good luck :-)
crypticblu

Post by crypticblu »

Here is the updated stance of Search Associates in light of educator demands for equity in recruitment. ISS, TIEOnline, and Teacher Horizons have made similar commitments:

"JUN 12, 2020 — Search Associates is committed to being part of the solution and we are making the following changes:

We will remove the photo section from the Search Associates educator profiles. While we implement the technical aspects of this change, we will advise all applicants that this section will soon be eliminated and uploading a photo is unnecessary.

We fully support the elimination of the term “native English speaker” in job requirements and will advocate for this across the industry. We will inform schools that we will not allow the use of this term in job postings or descriptions they post to our site. Should we become aware of a posting that uses this term, we will take the necessary steps to remove it.

We commit to eliminating bias in the systems, structures, and tools used in the recruitment of educators and educational leaders, and we pledge to work collaboratively with all members of the international school community to achieve this goal.
Jessica Magagna
CEO Search Associates"
kellysensei

Post by kellysensei »

Okay, so color is okay; include references; photo is basically up to me. Right?

So, how long does my philosophy/qualifications statement have to be? That basically replaces an objective, right?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

It is up to you; however, many international educators do put photos on their CV -Curriculum Vitae (course of life). It is optional; however for those with unisex names, such as Kelly, Robin. Lee, etc, a photo helps the interviewer know who to expect to talk to :-) I put my photo on my CV, other friends of mine don't.

There is NOTHING the matter with having an objective, so long as it is focused and tailored to the position, as should be the rest of the CV. If you are applying for multiple positions (ie you are qualified for PE, Social Studies, and Science) you would likely have a difference CV for each position. Why? Because it makes you a stronger candidate at better schools. Having a generic 'I can do everything CV' means that it is diffuse and not focused and smacks of desperation. When I recruit, I have two or three different CVs that highlight different areas, some with different formats because they are for specialized non-teaching positions, versus teaching positions, which are different again. One CV highlighting 3 areas of teaching or skills won't really develop enough about you beyond the surface to gain much traction at good schools, who tend to want to hire someone specializing, not just credentialed but with limited experience.

Qualifications statement should be your degree(s) and certification areas. But you should also have a skills area that highlights the extras you bring to the position and reveals more about who you are as an educator and how you can enhance learning and programs at your potential new school.

References can be put on a separate page depending on whether you have the experience etc to fill the full two pages. Or References available on request if you are with Search or ISS because your references should be there too.

As to your philosophy. try to get that in your cover letter. I have had jobs in the past where I was surprised to be interviewed, but upon inquiry was told it was because of my cover letter. Don't use a generic cover letter. Research the schools you are applying to and use that to deliberately craft your cover letter.

Creating a CV is something that needs to be done thoughtfully and deliberately. Over my career, I have put literally hundreds of hours into my CVs and cover letters, but on the flip side, I have always ended up in good places and avoided many of the hell-hole schools I read about. Simply listing stuff without thinking things through leads to CVs that get you nowhere close to where you want to go. That's my opinion, at least.

hope this helps,

shad
kellysensei

Post by kellysensei »

Thank you, shadowjack!

Yes, I have already spent many, many hours this summer crafting good cover letters for my top 10-12 schools. So much work (when I'm supposed to be relaxing!), but I hope it will pay off!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

it really IS a second job, isn't it?
kellysensei

Post by kellysensei »

Thought of a couple more quick questions.

1) Do I need to include my full address on both the resume and cover letter, or is my city/state/country sufficient?
2) On the resume, is it better to start with my licensure or with my teaching experience?
kellysensei

Post by kellysensei »

Oh - acronyms. My position is "ESL teacher" in the US, and my licensure is "K-12 ESL," but some international schools use the descriptor "EAL teacher." So I assume I should keep my licensure to read "ESL" but change my position title to "EAL Teacher" for those schools using that wording?

When I write my position at the top of the resume, do I capitalize teacher in "EAL Teacher" or leave it lowercase? And is it okay to say it that way, or do I have to write out "English as an Additional Language Teacher?"

So many little things to worry about...
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I include my full address on both. It is, after all, a letter.

If you have done EAL, list it as EAL. If you were an ESL teacher, list it as ESL. There are overlaps and differences between the two, but good schools are only looking to see if you have the experience that they are looking for. More important is the breakdown of what your role was in that position. What did you do beyond the mundane responsibilities of the position? That's what will help open doors. I once worked with a teacher who asked for help with his CV. When I looked at his experience at our school and asked him why he really didn't list anything - literally it was one sentence - "I was a grade 4 teacher at X", he just looked blankly at me. He did things AS a teacher that all teachers do, but he could not think of any outstanding things he had done. Crazy, right?

EAL Teacher - that is the position name. I am an EAL teacher - that is what you do and EAL is the acronym so capitalized.

As to changing your position - only do that in your Objective line, if the prospective school's open position is EAL teacher. But don't change your old title name. It might confuse some of your references! LOL
Milanig

Post by Milanig »

It seems to me that the resume should contain detailed important information that may affect the consideration of your person
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There are two schools of thought. On one side is including the photo on the resume itself. The other is sending it as a separate attachment. Really you should do both, in that you have one resume that you use in person, at fairs, etc. where you can control the printing, in which case a splash of color is also fine. The other resume you use for digital and email applications where you dont know what will be done with it and a small thumbnail photo take too much precious space, will likely be a splotch of ink if its printed and a photo attachment is much clearer.
Format your resume to use A4 paper.

Omit the references on the primary document but format it as a heading matching your resume template on a separate page. If an IS asks for it, you can decide at hat stage to sen it. Understand that once you send the information you have no control over what an IS will use it for or when. You may very well be burning your references with contacts for a large number of ISs you ultimately will not be looking for.

SAs advice really isnt very enlightening

Assuming you exhibit an ISs and IEs desirable characteristics you should absolutely include them (depending on the region and location you are applying) this includes characteristics such as race, age, gender, family status, etc.

None of the changes will amount to anything. ISs will simply and legitimately request a scan of your passport cover and they will no all the information thy need in those regards based on that.

You should put such statements such as philosophy in a separate document or briefly in the intro email/cover letter. Dont waste precious space on objectives, etc. You applied for X edu position, your objective is to get an offer for that position. Just as you dont include standard edu tasks in your descriptors, such as planning lessons, marking/grading student work, attending meeting.

Your resume should have 4 components, who you are and how to contact you, what you can teach (degrees, qualifications, credentials, etc.), what you have taught (experience, exam scores) and special skills.

Cover letters rarely get read until the interview stage.

General region is fine for the cover/intro letter. The resume should have your current residence where you receive post/mail at.

Whichever is strongest.

Title it "English Language Teacher" dont bother with variations or acronyms.