2nd most COVID country - Do I go?

Askbrazil

2nd most COVID country - Do I go?

Post by Askbrazil »

I accepted a job at a school in Brasilia way back before any of this COVID stuff happened. I am seeking some advice from those in this forum.

I am due to fly out with my family next week and we are having second thoughts about going. My partner is particularly high risk.

In my contract there are penalties, I am seeking advice as to if the school would be able to invoke these penalties? What is the best way to approach this?
Heliotrope

Re: 2nd most COVID country - Do I go?

Post by Heliotrope »

The penalties are irrelevant as long as you're not Brazil.
The best way to approach it is to be honest with the school, and tell them about your high risk partner and your decision being based on the welfare of your family. I would send an email, as it gives you the best chance to explain everything in a rational way.
Ideally, they will understand.
I assume you wanted to see how things develop before deciding, but you are very late breaking the news though, so I can imagine they'll be upset. How upset or understanding really depends on the person responding, but ultimately they can't force you to get on the flight.
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

All good points made above. They simply can't make you get on that plane and you know what your best choice is healthwise for your family.

Have you been in constant contact with the school? If so, then presumably this might not be a surprise to them.

If not then it is late to let them know but these are very mixed up times anyway...

Good luck with whatever you decide.
mamava

Post by mamava »

I am starting my 5th year in Sao Paulo and we'll be distance learning until September 8 at the earliest, by order of the governor of the state. Looking at what's happening in the States, I would rather teach at my school in Brazil than picking up a job here in a school right now. Our school is going to extraordinary lengths planning for when we come back f2f--and we won't be f2f 100% for a long time. We also did a survey where if you had criteria in high-risk categories, there seemed like there might be some flexibility for working distance-wise. Honestly, is Brasilia worse than Florida right now?

Another thing to keep in mind (sadly) is that our status in Brazil affords us more protection in terms of the economic level we live at and the hospital care we can afford. We are not living squashed together, we are not riding public buses, and you are likely to have access to the best medical care. You can order groceries and food online. Additionally, your school has in place structures, I'm sure, to help protect people. Is it perfect? Not at all. But no system is going to be able to protect you 100% unless you are completely sheltered at home full time.

There are a number of documents that show the pattern of growth in different states in Brazil in real time. It's interesting to note that Sao Paulo city was a huge hot spot for a long time, but now we are decreasing faster than the rest of the state--in part because we have more resources in a city than in more rural areas (even with the crowded conditions of the city). The governor has said that every "county" in the state has to be at the same level before schools can open, so it's possible that SP schools will be waiting for other areas to catch up.

I say all of this as a way to not succumb to the CNN effect. What happens in a HUGE country is not consistent nation-wide. Not all of the US is Florida (and our colleagues in SP often comment on how bad things are in the US and they worry about us--even though we're in a place that is managing quite well). Check with your school and be very specific about asking how Brasilia ranks in the country, what will happen if someone's infected, what is the status of healthcare and access at this time? And then make the best choice for your situation. Keep in mind that the hiring season starts in November/December, at a time when borders are still not open, schools are still not being opened completely, etc. so next year's job search could be difficult.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

First, sit down and figure out if youre not going. I concur with a lot of @mamava, as an expat youre very likely to be able to afford access to care you woudnt otherwise be able to have and with a better quality of life able to minimize risks. Depending where you com from your risk profile may be significantly less in Brazil.
Consider what your options and alternatives are if you dont go, do you have a plan (a job, home, etc.).

Second, if your decision is not to go. The penalties mean nothing, they cant force you to get on a plane and they very likely have no effective recourse to enforce those penalties. Just write them an email that you are withdrawing acceptance of the offer. If they follow up aggressively just cite the do not travel advisorie from various ministries, and claim force majeure, then ignore them. Be polite but firm, you arent traveling and you arent giving them anything.