Opportunities in South Korea?

Alseoul

Opportunities in South Korea?

Post by Alseoul »

Hello,

Background: I’m a British ESL teacher in Seoul. My undergraduate degree was Finance + Law, but I have been teaching in public schools in Korea for the past 5 years. I have no teaching qualifications beyond a 120-hour TESOL certificate. I’m married to a Korean and I have an F6 visa. My Korean language abilities are intermediate.

Goal: Our plan is to stay in Korea for at least the next 2~4 years, move back to the UK for a few years before deciding where we will permanently live. I’d like to upgrade from public schools to an international school or university while I’m here.

Problem: Most international schools ask for certification + 2 years teaching experience in a foreign school system. Most universities ask for a Masters + 2 years teaching experience at a university level, or a PhD.

Potential solutions

1. Gain teaching certification from TeachNow.
Pros: I can get certification quickly and start applying for IS jobs.
Cons: According to PsyGuy’s posts, UK QTS status may be hard to get by the time I finish the course. It would result in DC certification, and as I’m British it may be looked askance at. It’s also quite expensive.

2. Study a distance learning PGCE (at Leeds Beckett).
Pros: While it does not award QTS status, I have seen some people claim that they only needed to show their PGCE at the recruitment stage and that QTS was assumed by the recruiter. It’s quite cheap at £2167. It’s British and the award makes no mention of it being online. It gives 60 credits towards a Masters degree if I wish to pursue that later.
Cons: It’s not teaching certification, and it’s not a Masters, so it may not actually improve my chances at all!

3. Just start a distance learning Masters degree.
Pros: It could lead to eventual university jobs. It can also lead to a PhD.
Cons: It’s the most expensive of the lot. It takes the most time to complete. It looks attractive to international schools, but it’s not teaching certification.

Questions
1. Do you think it’s possible for me to get an IS job in Korea with teaching certification but no US/UK/IS experience?

2. Do you think it’s possible for me to get an IS job in Korea with just a PGCE and no QTS?

If the answer to 1 is yes, I feel like the best option is to do the TeachNow course, try to get an IS job as soon as possible, then study a part time masters at my leisure.

If the answer to 2 is yes, I feel that the PGCE is the best choice. I can save money and turn it into a Masters later.

If the answer to both is no, I feel like I should start a Masters, and aim for teaching certification (or a PhD) when we move back to the UK.

Thank you to anyone with any thoughts on this, especially anyone with experience in Korea.
samurai_pug

Re: Opportunities in South Korea?

Post by samurai_pug »

Hi there,
I was in a similar boat as you. My background: American, taught in SK from 2013-2018. Had a non education-related BA+TEFL, was stuck in EPIK and wanted a uni job or something better around my 3rd year. I also married a Korean woman - and I can tell you, despite all the crazy stuff happening in America, I'm glad to be back here (for now). I started a distance (but accredited) Master's program that had a teaching certification tacked on to it my 4th year, it was 45 credit hours. I started it in SK to save money and use the desk-warming time to get a lot of coursework done. I returned to America with my wife to spend the next year doing my student teaching in an American public school. I secured a full-time teaching job in a good public school in the suburbs and I'm about to begin my 2nd year there.

Truth be told, EPIK is really a job that should only be done a few years at most, and for single, young people. Getting married really makes you realize the glass ceiling in that job. Uni jobs are extremely competitive, downright cutthroat. I wanted to get a uni job initially, but the International School system is far more robust and has more opportunities. You could even get into administration... if you teach at uni, you're most likely going to be teaching freshmen English for ~2.5 million won and nothing else. Lots of free time to pursue side hustles, however, especially with that F visa.

Grad school was extremely expensive, time-consuming, and stressful. But, getting through that crucible, I can tell you with a graduate degree and a teaching license, there are so many more opportunities for me. I never have to worry about a job because there is a dire shortage of teachers in America, and I've even pursued further teaching licenses just to give myself more hats to wear. That being said...

My advice would be to get the most out of your investment. Is it worth it to get a Masters just to teach uni ESL for a few years? I'd say no. If I were to do this all over again, I'd have done TeacherReady/Teachnow to get a license, teach a few years, then pursue a Master's in something that grants more utility (educational leadership/counseling/instructional technology). That way, I could teach but still get paid at the graduate level, but have the option to do other things outside of the classroom if I so desired. Right now, I'm just sitting on a Master's in Teaching, which while useful, locks me completely in the classroom. I'd have to pursue further credentials to open more doors.

My wife is getting a teaching credential in Secondary Math, and we are keeping the option open to go back abroad once we get more experience.

I suggest you try something like that - flexibility is key.

Hope this helps.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

What would you teach in IE? Would it be ESOL or business/economics or something else?
Whats the plan for GB, as nothing but QTS is gong to be worth anything in so far a teaching, or would you be pursuing some other profession/work?
What if the answer is yes to both of them but neither is a strong yes?

In direct reply to your inquiries:

1) Sure its possible. Probable, its hard to say, but my coins on no. You have a very narrow job search range. SK has a very small 1st tier and a very nearly non-existent 2nd tier. Starting at the bottom of the salary scale would be very difficult as an intern class IT with zero applicable experience. Its why the subject matter question above. Th other issue is that starting on the bottom of an IS salary scale in the third tier is probably going to equate to a salary cut compared to being an ET with 5 years experience, since your going to be considered an LH, with little benefit, mainly the loss of a housing benefit.

2) Sure its possible. Probable, its hard to say, but my coins on no. You have the benefit of being there and having a visa, and your cheap because youre a LH. See above.

Not the best course Id say. You would be in a better position to gt the MA Provisional (entry grade) credential. Its an assessment route that involves taking a couple exams. Teach Now (changed its name) but it will still take a year and cost USD$6K. The exams even with travel will be a a fifth of that or less. This lets you evacuate your marketability with the lowest cost.

If you want a low cot M.Ed look at University of the People, USD$2600 for the full online program.