and it continues

mysharona

and it continues

Post by mysharona »

A large American based school in Shanghai just informed 22 current staff they were A)being furloughed, or B)Let go and at the same time told 12 incoming teachers that they would no longer be needed. In addition, compensation for those stranded outside of China may be adjusted if their role is diminished.
Tyshine

Re: and it continues

Post by Tyshine »

Living in China I'm surprised more schools have not done this. No-one expects the borders to be open until at least October and possibly longer. I know of at least one school that let go of their incoming and current staff abroad a month ago. My school is replacing teachers one by one. I have spoken to a few very well known schools are planning to keep their staff until borders open and hire subs, but I wonder how long that can go on. Are other countries starting to let go of all staff abroad? I heard a schools in Thailand, Vietnam and Abu Dhabi that are cutting new hires because of budget, but I've only heard of schools in China that are also letting go of existing staff who are abroad.
inmortus

Post by inmortus »

It would be great if you can post all the information, including school name, on the relevant discuss board post (which allows you to do that anonymously) https://internationalschoolsreviewdiscu ... -informed/

Actually, it would be great if more people posted updates, now that more schools have taken more decisions...
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

Feel free to post (on this forum) the names of schools letting teachers go due to the Covid-19. Just stay away from expressing opinions about admin, etc., which would then make the post a review. Talking about numbers of teacher let go and how and when it occurred is fine.

Paul @ ISR
FV2020

Post by FV2020 »

Curious to know more about this. Since the admin said it’s ok, was this SAS? I’ve also heard unconfirmed rumors that teachers are getting back into China now with letters of invitation; surely if this was SAS they’d have enough sway to get these letters, right?
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

Don't underestimate the role of politics in this as well. Given the relations between the US and China right now it wouldn't surprise me to see the Chinese authorities making life difficult for incoming/returning US passport holders and the guanxi that US affiliated schools had may have taken a knock as well.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

Yes, it is Shanghai American School that has let go or furloughed 22 teachers and told 12 new hires they were not needed this year. We have been told that the process to bring us back has been outlined, whether it's started or not is another thing. In the meantime here we sit trying to enjoy the summer.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Another reason why I'll never set foot on this CCP turf. Who wants to end up in a labor camp?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ary-arrest
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

yeah, i'm not sure i'd ever go to china. too many friends have told me about crackdowns and raids, surprise enforcements of rules, and quaranting random areas to make people do drug tests, interrogations, and detentions. i am guessing you're going to see many avoid or possibly even thrown out of china over the next 2 years. these actions aren't new, just heightened.

v.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Others schools have let people go. One of my friends lost a number of her colleagues when they were not in country when school started up even though it was all distance learning. My friend was frustrated by this because there was not communication from the school about them being in country as a requirement and decided to look for new work which resulted in a much better job. Granted, this was from a 3rd tier school and it happened in February. From my friends, I've heard that Dulwich has let some teachers go who are not in China. Both Yew Cheng International School and Shanghai Community International School re-issued contracts in late Spring with lower pay which people were told to take or leave. Teachers at both places are expecting increased work loads while teachers are making less money. British International School Shanghai were one reduced salaries this Spring.

On the other hand, it's been a good time to get better jobs if you're inside China. I've known several people living in China who have been able to get jobs at better schools as those schools let people go who are stuck outside of China. I know 5 or 6 people who've made a move for bigger pay or the change to get into teaching curriculum they haven't taught before (IB/AP).

The borders are starting to open in very limited ways. Mostly, I've heard of foreigners owning businesses or high-end executives entering or their families. One of my friends working in business had his wife and son come from Germany (both German nationals). I've heard contradictory things though related to the education side. Keystone Academy in Beijing was referenced in a news article saying they were able to bring in educators, but I'm wondering if it's just admin or actual teachers. I don't see this meaning we'll see a big increase in people being able to return any time soon. And of course, politics between China and specific countries can get in the way.

Eion

PS - @fine dude; glad to hear you won't be coming.
TheHuman

Post by TheHuman »

China is looking a lot like Germany in the 1930's right now. The cold war between China and the USA is heating up fast and there is no telling what China might do next. I would not want to be an American in China (or even a European, since they're often mistaken for Americans).
evgenblack

Post by evgenblack »

@eion_padraig:

Dulwich Beijing or Shanghai?
fangpiren

Post by fangpiren »

[quote=TheHuman post_id=59281 time=1594998807 user_id=250723]
China is looking a lot like Germany in the 1930's right now. The cold war between China and the USA is heating up fast and there is no telling what China might do next. I would not want to be an American in China (or even a European, since they're often mistaken for Americans).
[/quote]

China is looking like 1930s Germany? What an idiotic and totally false comment.
I’m an American living in China and hands down, I’d rather be here.
God knows, I might be snatched up off a street in America by some unindentifiable goons in an unmarked black SUV.
Now that’s more like 1930s Germany in my opinion.
TheHuman

Post by TheHuman »

@fangpiren There are millions of Uyghur people in concentration camps in China being tortured, sterilized, and forced to work that would disagree with you. There are millions of people in HK that have suddenly lost their freedom of speech that would also disagree with you. India, and a host of other SEA countries that have recently had their land stolen by China would also disagree. I lived in China for years and just recently returned to the US. While I do miss a lot about China, I do not miss the fear of exit bans or arbitrary arrest. I would never post this while I was still living in China, as I could be arrested. I personally knew people who were exit banned from China through no fault of their own. As a person living in China, you have no choice but to post positive things as you could also be arrested.
fangpiren

Post by fangpiren »

[quote=TheHuman post_id=59292 time=1595216826 user_id=250723]
@fangpiren There are millions of Uyghur people in concentration camps in China being tortured, sterilized, and forced to work that would disagree with you. There are millions of people in HK that have suddenly lost their freedom of speech that would also disagree with you. India, and a host of other SEA countries that have recently had their land stolen by China would also disagree. I lived in China for years and just recently returned to the US. While I do miss a lot about China, I do not miss the fear of exit bans or arbitrary arrest. I would never post this while I was still living in China, as I could be arrested. I personally knew people who were exit banned from China through no fault of their own. As a person living in China, you have no choice but to post positive things as you could also be arrested.
[/quote]

I think we got a tRumpster on board! Like a tRumpster, this fool just makes shit up and gives no thought to what’s he’s saying.

First of all, regarding the Uyghurs, as an American you really do need to keep your mouth shut when the issue of human rights comes up. Our country was founded on 400 years of slavery, oppression, genocide and non-stop war mongering. Americans are literally the last people on Earth that get to call out other countries on human rights violations. Second of all, regarding the Uyghurs, they are not in concentration camps, they are in detention centers and the conditions in those centers, from everything that I have seen, are very humane. Are
you trying to draw similarities between Nazi concentration camps and detention centers? If you are, you would do better to comparing them to America’s detention centers where we still have thousands of children in cages that have been separated from their parents.

Regarding Hong Kong and their lost freedom of speech, again look at your own country. Peaceful protesters were scattered by the presidents security personnel because he wanted to have a photo op at a church. Protesters in Oregon are being snatched off the streets by goons in unmarked cars. Insult a judge in America and you face jail time. Not to mention the 2,000,000 Americans in our for profit prisons who lost the most fundamental act of free speech, the right to vote.

Regarding SEA land grabs - and once again, look to your own country. Our entire homeland was one massive land grab. Who are you to now point a finger at China and accuse them stealing sovereign territory.

Last of all “the fear” you mention - what exactly are you talking about? I walk down dark alleys in China that I wouldn’t dare look down in America. I dare not make eye contact with cops in America for fear of a slap to the head but I have read cops in China the riot act more than once. The Chinese are the most fear-free people I know. They are loud, opinionated and they advocate for themselves as much as any free people I’ve ever met. Maybe this “fear” you have when you are in China has more to do with your xenophobia than anything else.

For myself, I speak my mind wherever I am in China, probably too much so, and I do call them out on their bullshit whenever I see it. It don’t scare me none.