thai police clearance cert

brillo

thai police clearance cert

Post by brillo »

Does anyone here have info on it?

The links on their website are broken and the numbers are out of service/not being picked up

School have given me an english list but the translation is terrible and the staff dont know anything.

It says I need an embassy request letter but doesn't say what that letter needs to contain, it has different categories (marriage, education, work etc.) but nothing for leaving the country

I don't even know why I need it. My next job hasn't requested it.

Edit: turns out the english list of docs is incorrect. you don't need most of them. just passport, wp and some forms. They can do the rest there. Still don't know why I need it though!
t_rock

Re: thai police clearance cert

Post by t_rock »

If your next job hasn't requested it, and you don't know why you need it, why would you put yourself through the stress of getting it? Ask your school for a letter of good conduct on official letterhead in lieu of a Ministry document. I have filled out a few myself in Cambodia for my staff because getting a police letter is near impossible even under normal circumstances, to say nothing of times during COVID.

If you really want answers, go to Thai Visa forums rather than an international education forum.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

If your new employer hasn't requested it, don't bother. It's a hassle. The cert itself is dated and addressed specifically to the country you specify, so you can't reuse it later either.

I've had to get it multiple times for work visas in other countries. The official way (pre-Covid) involves a big paper chase, a long wait (6+ weeks minimum) and paying a 100 baht fee + extra for shipping if you need it.

The semi-official way involves going through an agent who appears to work within the division that issues the certs. Going this route, the paperwork is reduced, the fee is massively increased (I think around 7000 baht the last time I had to get it), and the cert is Fed-Ex'd to your door within a couple of days. The link for going the agent route used to be on the official website.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

I've been to the central police station in Pathum Wan twice for police checks in the last month. It takes about an hour. You need your blue book, passport (and copies of both) plus you're current contract and the contract for your next school. Sign everything.150 Baht including postage.
brillo

Post by brillo »

Update: things have changed. I ran around chasing bits of paper. Turns out I didn't need anything other than my passport and a photocopy of the photo page/stamp.

They did everything else there, was very easy and took about 30 mins.

Still don't know what I need it for though!
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

Brillo, just to clarify, were you applying for a police report in Thai or an English one for those leaving the country? I was at the central police station in Pathum Wan at the beginning of July and needed all the paperwork. The only difference with the previous time I went in June was they had set up an electronic finger print scanner. However, it didn't work, so we had to the black ink method.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

[quote=brillo post_id=59283 time=1595064680 user_id=227037]
Update: things have changed. I ran around chasing bits of paper. Turns out I didn't need anything other than my passport and a photocopy of the photo page/stamp.

They did everything else there, was very easy and took about 30 mins.

Still don't know what I need it for though!
[/quote]

Sounds very strange, unless the procedure has changed radically. If not, I think we may be thinking of different documents...

It always required an application form where you had to specify the purpose. Then you had to supply some sort of proof for that purpose. And you had to specify the country that you were using it for, which was printed at the top of the clearance "For country x only". I asked once when applying in person if I could have a cert without the country name for general use, and got the famous Thai "mai dai".
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

That's sounds more like it. They will only issue one police check a day so I had to go back twice. The second one was for an application for certification.

I find its better to have copies of police reports from every country I've worked in regardless of whether my new school requires it. Maybe I'm just a paperwork hoarder.
PsyGuy

Reponse

Post by PsyGuy »

If your new IS hasnt gotten it. Then go the cheap route and get it competed in English for your country of residence, then scan it into a digital file and use that going forward.