Should I get a second credential?

leipanga

Should I get a second credential?

Post by leipanga »

Hi! Looking for some advice from those more experienced and knowledgeable than me.

I currently have a California Multiple Subject teaching credential (basically a self-contained homeroom/elementary credential) and teach upper elementary. My Bachelor's is in English, and I have an M.Ed with a literacy teaching focus. I'm interested in teaching middle school English in the future. How necessary is it that I get a Single Subject English credential to do so? What countries would require me to have the specialized credential for visa reasons? How likely is it that schools would consider me for middle school English positions without the Single Subject credential? I don't currently have experience teaching English at that level, so I'm not sure if the credential would sway things in my favor, or not add much clout.

Getting the English credential wouldn't be too difficult, but before I commit the time and money to the process, I thought I'd see how essential it was.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

(In case it's relevant, the exact description on my Multiple Subject credential reads: "This credential authorizes the holder to teach all subjects in a self-contained class and, as a self-contained classroom teacher, to team teach or to regroup students across classrooms, in grades twelve and below, including preschool, and in classes organized primarily for adults. In addition, this credential authorizes the holder to teach core classes consisting of two or more subjects to the same group of students in grades five through eight, and to teach any of the core subjects he or she is teaching to a single group of students in the same grade level as the core for less than fifty percent of his or her work day.")
leipanga

Re: Should I get a second credential?

Post by leipanga »

Replying to add (is there an edit button? can't find it, if so): I could also very easily add a "Specific Subject Matter Authorization" in teaching literature to my Multiple Subject credential, but I have no idea if that would be of any use at ALL.
sid

Post by sid »

I’d recommend a different option.
Convince your current school to move you to MS English. Get your experience that way and then move on. Your current school is more likely to take a chance on you than a school that’s never seen you operate.
Many schools and countries will be open to you without the matching credentials, since you do have a teaching license. But they probably won’t hire you without experience.
Best scenario: get both experience and that extra endorsement you mentioned.
PsyGuy

Reponse

Post by PsyGuy »

Youre an elementary IT, if you want to move into being a secondary Language Arts/Literature IT, youre going to need a strong foundation for doing so. You have a degree in English but experience is king and you dont have that, and your going up against applicants that have that and a credential in a teaching subject there isnt a shortage of. Credentials are marketable.
Id concur with @Sid see if your current IS will move you into lower secondary literature/language arts but get the credential since it going to be relatively easy for you.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Sid has nailed it. Either move up in your present system, or go overseas as a primary teacher, but work to move up to MS when a vacancy arises. Don't necessarily announce that as your goal in your interviews - wait until you are there and have established your bona fides...
leipanga

Post by leipanga »

Great insights and advice, thank you all. I've told my current school I'd really like to move to middle school English if a position opens up, but it doesn't look likely that will happen-- the current MS English teachers are pretty entrenched. It sounds like in that case, the answer is, it's worth getting the credential, but the most likely route to MS English will ultimately be ending up at a school where I'm able to get hired as upper elementary and then change positions. Honestly, I love upper elementary, it's just a narrower job field than if I can add another area (and lower elementary is not for me). Thanks all!
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

So while the work in and moving up from within an IS is more effective its not more efficient. You could be spending years moving through and from ISs, recruiting, working, only to find that your in the same position that the lower secondary literature ITs are very entrenched or that there is an opportunity but its becoming or is a paired subject teaching position (meaning you teach lower secondary, but you teach two subjects. Typically literature and humanities/social studies). Then you have to do it all over again. Add a credential and with your degree and your current IE experience and youre in the same pool or near so to an entry level literature IT. Maybe you have to step back and go to a less desirable region or a lower tier IS, but thats going to be more efficient if you dont just get lucky.
leipanga

Post by leipanga »

Cool, thanks PsyGuy, that lines up with how I'm thinking about approaching this. Like I said, I'm happy in upper elementary, I just know that's limiting myself within the already competitive elementary hiring scene even more (since I don't want to teach lower). I'll go ahead and add the credential and then apply for a mix of elementary and MS English positions next time I'm recruiting.