degree in subject matter vs. certification

porter1

degree in subject matter vs. certification

Post by porter1 »

What is more competitive in the world of international education--a degree in the subject matter or a certification? Though I have about 25 credits for each of three subjects, including NY certification, I do not have a direct degree in two of the certifications. Additionally, I have a health care doctorate that has STEM applications, but is not a direct high school subject. Thank you.
fine dude

Re: degree in subject matter vs. certification

Post by fine dude »

A degree of course. Certification validates your expertise. Do you have to go back to school to a get a degree? The answer is no. Learn on the job/online, prove yourself with stellar exam results, and aim for a better school. Some of the best math and physics teachers I worked with are engineers-turned-teachers. The gold standard is those with research experience who can advise on high end projects, but you need to have the necessary pedagogical knowledge, too.
sid

Post by sid »

I partially agree in that a degree shows in depth subject knowledge.
But... without a license, many schools and countries will be closed off to you. And a license demonstrates pedagogical knowledge as opposed to subject knowledge. Which is more important? Chicken and egg.
porter1

Post by porter1 »

thank you for the responses. I graduated from a Masters of Ed program four years ago, but worked in my Health/STEM field since then, so I just need to fill out the paper work and take a couple of subject tests, the school will sponsor me for the rest--again, in my US state, the cert requirements are quite high.

At what point is classroom experience negating lack of subject degree? (To reiterate, my doctorate has loads of biology and chemistry in it--does this mean anything?) As far as research, I did some in graduate school. What are schools expecting for skills--know the statistical calculations and community college type equipment, or just general design and execution of highschool level science?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Credential. Without it your just someone with a degree who says they know the material and can do the job There are three components to an ITs resume, what they can do (degrees, credentials, etc.), what they have done (experience, exam scores, etc.), and special skills (MUN, coaching, etc.). The rule is of those experience is king.

You have 25 credits youre close enough to a major in the subject matter, absent the degree. The credential validates all of your content and meds/peds/ass, but none of that means as much an IT who has demonstrated they can transfer knowledge an accelerate student success.
porter1

Post by porter1 »

From my understanding, IT is quite pendantic. Even with the 20-25 credits per subject, principals do not seem to see it as equivalent to the degree in the subject matter. How can one overcome this issue and when would it not be an issue save getting the degree? MOst schools demand fifty percent of the credits at their institution.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Not that pedantic, well maybe some are. The issue is more marketing, when you have a degree it stands out more on a resume, as opposed to how do you list something thats short of a degree and give it the same attention. You have multiple degrees already including an earned doctorate. You could create a bullet point under your undergrad/first degree studies and add the 25 credits as majors or minors or you could list them as line items as degrees in progress to highlight them. A credential though ashes over all that you can highlight the credentials that your fully certified to teach those courses and then bullet point that you have 25 credits of academic study under them.

Look at Thomas Edison State Uni. You can transfer up to 100% of the degree requirements minus a capstone course and information literacy course and they are regionally accredited if you really want to complete the degrees thats like 16-18 credits or a semester of study and you could likely get additional credit on top of the 25 hours by some examination or previous learning option.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

porter1 - if you think IT is pedantic you haven't been following trends in education. Pedants, at least in my experience, are on the way out, and teacher who can deliver inquiry based learning in a content delivered framework are in demand.

LOL - it is not the same education system of the past at many schools. Maybe, if you want to be a pedant, apply to a Chinese school affiliated with the local high school?