URGENT: Should I take Teach Now? (with MA in Education from Nottingham)

yourwind

URGENT: Should I take Teach Now? (with MA in Education from Nottingham)

Post by yourwind »

Hi all,

I had completed both PGCEi and MA in Education at University of Nottingham, but I don't have any teaching certificate.

After reading many posts in this forum,I found it's nearly impossible for me to apply US credentials directly.
While I only have 1 year post PGCEi experiences, I don't think I am qualified to apply CT credentials.
Massachusetts (MA) provisional credential (entry grade) require all applicants to take METL.However, applicant must have Massachusetts Education Personnel ID (MEPI) to take METL.

So the most feasible way for me to get US teaching certificate is Teach-Now program but this will cost USD6000 and 9 months.
I am wondering if it's worth to spend money and time to get the DC & HI credentials.
Another way is to apply QTS through AO route but I have to get a job in a UK school first.

Are there great advantages to have western countries (for example US) teaching certificate when applying for tier 1 or tier 2 IS in Asian countries?
Is QTS more recognized compare to US teaching certificate?

I am Asian, non-native english speaker, which is less competitive in the market. So trying to make myself more marketable.

Thanks.
Verano

Re: URGENT: Should I take Teach Now? (with MA in Education from Nottingham)

Post by Verano »

Have you checked the requirements to get the certificate in MA? Usually one of the requirements is to be a resident in the states.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

Part of your issue is that you have the Nottingham iPGCE. It is not very well reputed, and many schools / locations won't accept it as a valid qualification.

You could try to get QTS through the Assessment Only route, which is great if you are already teaching. That would give you a proper teaching certification.
t_rock

Post by t_rock »

[quote=shadylane post_id=58875 time=1588790206 user_id=142392]
Part of your issue is that you have the Nottingham iPGCE. It is not very well reputed, and many schools / locations won't accept it as a valid qualification.
[/quote]

FWIW, a friend of mine--without any stellar experience nor exam results supporting his candidacy--got a job in Taiwan (before COVID) with just a BA from the US and the iPGCE fron Nottingham. It's not a tier 1 school but it's fairly well respected.
yourwind

Post by yourwind »

thanks all for your advice.

I got a offer from Taiwan international school last year with current qualifications as well. It's not too bad, considering the lower living cost in Taiwan (besides Taipei). Trying to move to a better international school in my long term plan.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Youre probably not going to get the CT initial (entry grade) credential with only a year post PGCEi experience.

You can contact the MA DOE and request a MEPID to take the MTEL, normally its created for you when you create an account in ELAR, but you can contact th DOE at +1(781)3386600 to request one if it doesnt. You can use this number to register for the MTEL.
You do not nedd to be resident.

You dont need a job or an appointment in a UK DS to complete the AO route to QTS it just needs to be an IS that uses the UK NC. You can even do induction in a BSO (where the medium of instruction is English) as long as the BS was recently inspected.

QTS is more straightforward than the many US credentials.

Yes there are significant advantages from having credentials from western countries, especially the four main English speaking ones (USA/UK/AUS/CAN)

The PGCEi from Nottingham doesnt have the best reputation among the Unis that offer a PGCEi but its not garbage and all of the PGCEi programs are in a grey area in terms of a working qualification. You also have a Edu Masters and unless your comparing your degree to OxBridge than a masters is a masters is a masters.