Pandemic Leadership

fine dude

Pandemic Leadership

Post by fine dude »

Without naming schools, how is your admin doing in making key decisions relating to virtual learning, communication, and plans to reopen? Are they being decisive enough in resolving complex problems?
Heliotrope

Re: Pandemic Leadership

Post by Heliotrope »

I'm very pleased with how things are handled.
Leadership is not taking any risks, and are letting themselves be guided by science, not parental pressure.
A large majority of the parents agree with leadership's decisions btw, but there was a small but loud minority that voiced their point of view.
Leadership has been very supportive when we transitioned to virtual learning, and communicate clearly and regularly. No parents have indicated they're thinking of putting their kids in a different school next year, but there's a long wait list so that wouldn't be a problem at all, and teachers' salaries remain unchanged (actually, we'll receive the annual increase as always) and no teachers will be let go because of this.
All staff (not just teachers and admin) received care packages.

So far so good.

I've heard stories from a teacher at my first school who is still there (married a local), and things at that school are very, very different unfortunately. He's talking to his wife about possibly leaving in June.
mamava

Post by mamava »

I'm really pleased with our school. We are forging ahead with new content, assessments, etc., so it's a challenge, but our admin have been so supportive and transparent about where we are and where we might be heading. I've been reading the posts on Facebook from US school and I feel really lucky.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Our new Director was a bit invisible the first few months here, but has made himself very popular with staff very quickly since the outbreak. He has handled this all superbly so far. He regularly checks in with teachers, parents, and students to see what is needed. Parents are also happy with the decisions so far. Wellbeing is a genuine part of policy, and it shows. Looking at the times he sends out emails it seems he works crazy hours to keep everything going smoothly.
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

@Illian_Blues

I'm glad you and you're school community is having a positive experience.

However, to this point 'Wellbeing is a genuine part of policy, and it shows. Looking at the times he sends out emails it seems he works crazy hours to keep everything going smoothly.' I would suggest that your Director needs to consider his own well-being.

Also, emailing at silly o'clock can have a detrimental effect on others as some people think they should be doing the same. Far better to schedule send these emails to reinforce the well being message.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

My cousin has a different story. Her school rushed to re-open, but the leadership is clueless. They don't have PPE and not enough room to maintain physical distancing. They are asking teachers to make decisions on the fly. Apparently, this pandemic is exposing the (in)competence of several school leaders who are either yielding to parental pressures or bottomline, or even both. So much for strategic planning.