Next move

just.the.truth

Next move

Post by just.the.truth »

Hi all,
I hope everyone is doing well.

I feel like I am at a bit of an impasse, and could use some advice.

First, a bit of background info about my IT experience: I started my first contract in the ME, and stayed for 2 years. Then I went to a slightly better ME country, but had to leave after 1 year due to family reasons. I went to my home country to be with my family, and then accepted a contract in a country that was closer to home. It was a great country, and an incredible school, but I decided to go back to the ME for financial reasons.
I have read countless posts about staying longer than 2 years, and have received amazing feedback from teachers in other forums. The common theme is that having a string of 2 contracts is negative and will affect future possibilities.

As a result, I am somewhat anxious and hesitant about two contracts putting me at a disadvantage, but I am really unhappy currently. I came to this country hoping to save money, but I’m not achieving that at all. I am not going to give particulars here, but suffice it to say that where I am is pretty much not on anyone’s dream list and probably not on any list to begin with!

I’m really not sure what to do at this point, and could really use some objectivity.
Heliotrope

Re: Next move

Post by Heliotrope »

Can you tell us why you are unable to save?
You knew the salary when you signed and I assume you had some idea about cost of living before deciding to go.
Is life just much more expensive than anticipated, or do you travel a lot?
Just asking, since the Middle East in general is not a bad place to save, and moving to elsewhere might mean you'll have problems saving there as well.

Have you already extended your contract for next year?

If not, and if you're really unhappy, then just move on. Yes, staying one or two extra years past the first two will be better for future applications, and some schools will be wary of you this round if you leave now, but some will consider you if the rest of your CV is good. If you can find a school now that will take you, you could stay past your first contract there instead of where you are now.
Just be sure to pick the right one, to avoid the risk that that school will be another 2 year stay.

There are not a great many good jobs left though, especially given that saving is a priority for you. Hiring at European schools starts later than most of the rest of the world, but saving is harder there than in the Middle East, if you compare schools of a similar caliber.
China comes to mind, as quite a few schools there will still have vacancies, and savings potential is pretty good there.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

As long as 1) You complete your contract. 2) Have a positive reference. 3) Have a reasonable response for the movement in an interview, you can bounce around IE as much as you want. There is no you have 2 or 3 contracts before you must somehow do more than your contract, or its doom and gloom.

Curious why you cant save in the ME though, if youre having problems saving there (in general) youre not going to find much of an easier time of it elsewhere.
just.the.truth

Re: Next move

Post by just.the.truth »

DMd you on the private forum.

Heliotrope wrote:
> Can you tell us why you are unable to save?
> You knew the salary when you signed and I assume you had some idea about
> cost of living before deciding to go.
> Is life just much more expensive than anticipated, or do you travel a lot?
> Just asking, since the Middle East in general is not a bad place to save,
> and moving to elsewhere might mean you'll have problems saving there as
> well.
>
> Have you already extended your contract for next year?
>
> If not, and if you're really unhappy, then just move on. Yes, staying one
> or two extra years past the first two will be better for future
> applications, and some schools will be wary of you this round if you leave
> now, but some will consider you if the rest of your CV is good. If you can
> find a school now that will take you, you could stay past your first
> contract there instead of where you are now.
> Just be sure to pick the right one, to avoid the risk that that school will
> be another 2 year stay.
>
> There are not a great many good jobs left though, especially given that
> saving is a priority for you. Hiring at European schools starts later than
> most of the rest of the world, but saving is harder there than in the
> Middle East, if you compare schools of a similar caliber.
> China comes to mind, as quite a few schools there will still have
> vacancies, and savings potential is pretty good there.
just.the.truth

Re: Response

Post by just.the.truth »

PsyGuy wrote:
> As long as 1) You complete your contract. 2) Have a positive reference. 3)
> Have a reasonable response for the movement in an interview, you can bounce
> around IE as much as you want. There is no you have 2 or 3 contracts before
> you must somehow do more than your contract, or its doom and gloom.
>
> Curious why you cant save in the ME though, if you're having problems saving
> there (in general) you're not going to find much of an easier time of it
> elsewhere.

Long story...lol

I had previously work at 2 schools in the middle east, and saved a substantial amount of money. I'm not finding the same ability where I am now though. The cost of living is exorbitant. I think a lot of that has to do with 1. their currency, 2. inflation, and 3. stagnating wage increases. Thanks for the feedback too. Really appreciate it!