Reopening

fine dude

Reopening

Post by fine dude »

This post is meant to touch base with folks who are returning to face-to-face teaching starting Monday, April 20. How comfortable are you in making a comeback? Are you going to wear a mask during your teaching? Are all your students returning to school? What kind of support is your admin offering? Thank you.
vandsmith

Re: Reopening

Post by vandsmith »

many of the schools opened today and we start on friday. for the next three weeks it will all be half-days. i hear germany is opening on monday.

i'm not comfortable with it really, and i think i will be wearing a mask. i really miss the kids and they miss me but after a holiday, i am more interested in seeing the numbers in a week or two when those who traveled during the holiday have symptoms appear. i am worried about my colleagues mostly. the . doesn't seem to affect children in the same fatal way (generally speaking).

admin offers support and understanding, and will probably be flexible with a lot of stuff, including leaving time. however, we'll get about 2 hours each day after school to plan with our colleagues (observing proper distancing of course). there are a ton of guidelines to follow, maaaaany of which are near-impossible to enforce but we'll give it a shot. the government has mandated an opening so we have no choice. the only kids that won't return are those with family members sick. if kids show symptoms at school, even mild ones, we are to send them home for 48 hours. teachers are to also follow this rule.

i personally feel it's too soon, especially after this holiday. if a parent asked my opinion, i would tell them to keep their kids home if it is possible or if they were worried. i would also encourage them to use a mask if possible. but that is not the school position.

stay safe, good luck!

v.
t_rock

Post by t_rock »

What countries are re-opening schools on 20 April?
blackspec

Post by blackspec »

My school in China is reopening for grades 9 and 12. I am not in country but they sent out a video to all high school students on the requirements and it looks like a prison. I would not want my kid going back and do not understand the value of going back compared to online. Also, since 1/2 of our staff is out of country many classes are still distance learning and the teachers that did go back are getting an increased workload without compensation. For example I was directed to find a teacher on campus to remove all items besides desk and computers from my class and make sure all desk are 1.5 meters apart.
wt2015

Post by wt2015 »

Schools in Shanghai are opening in grade-stages. April 27, 2 high school grades return. Other grades will return staggered by grades; upper grades first. We have been told to be prepared to return after May 6 but nothing is confirmed yet. This is direct information from the Shanghai Education Bureau. Kindergartens open last.

When I see how the school has prepared, I'll determine then how comfortable I am going back. Lots of people here are roaming around without masks and it makes me very uncomfortable!
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

I've only seen it through facebook posts and anecdotal comments with friends in China - but high schools classes are starting first. Students and teachers must wear a mask at all times with spare masks provided with spares. Temperature is tested before you enter and social distancing and not touching each other is strongly enforced.

It also seems as though different cities are opening at wildly different times. I don't know enough to comment on this though....