China closed

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

China could stay shutdown until March 2021, they could handle it. The physical presence of foreigners isnt so critical to Chinas economy, as much as foreigners like to think they are.

@mcfcok1989!

No its correct, an IT just has to be exceptional enough. Your claim that the improbable is impossible because you havent observed is just your experience. There doesnt need to be a past or current observance or story or the potential that that one is possible in the future, even if one never manifests.

@Heliotrope

Your friend is not exceptional enough.

@wt2015

No, those are true.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> Your friend is not exceptional enough.

Apparently, no IT is.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Apparently, no IT you know.
Heliotrope

Re: Comment

Post by Heliotrope »

Well, on none of the forums that this is discussed have I read about an IT being deemed exceptional by the Chinese, but I have read many many stories about loads of ITs being denied, and about no one hearing of anyone who has been allowed in.
The plethora of anecdotes about unsuccessful attempts, and the absence of a single case mentioned where entrance was obtained leads me to think the Chinese don't think ITs are exceptional enough to qualify.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

So, thats TPF. You havent observed something that doesnt make something untrue.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> You havent observed something that doesnt make something
> untrue.

And you saying exceptional ITs can still get in doesn't mean that's true.

So far I've only read and heard about teachers, including very exceptional ones (at least by my high standards), being denied.
And due to the shear size of these reports I'm inclined to believe China doesn't deem any IT exceptional enough to enter at the moment. But as soon as I hear about a successful attempt I will happily stand corrected, as I hope they will allow ITs back in.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

No, its true because those are the regulations. An IT can get in they just have to meet the requirements, your observance of not seeing one doesnt mean one doesnt exist. Its still possible.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

I'm not doubting that the regulations hypothetically allow an IT to enter. Hypothetically the Chinese protect copyright.
I'm just saying that it seems that the Chinese government doesn't consider any international teacher exceptional enough, as no IT has able to enter.
Perhaps some day they will relax their definition of 'exceptional' so that it includes ITs.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Its not hypothetical, there are real regulations. There definition of exceptional already include ITs as it doesnt specifically exclude them.

No IT that you know of.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

As said, I'm not doubting the regulations are real, and that in theory ITs could be allowed to enter.
I'm just saying that I've read about well over a hundred that have tried, and all have failed. So until I hear about a successful attempt, I'm inclined to believe the Chinese government doesn't consider any ITs exceptional.
Not yet at least.
mcfcok1989!

Post by mcfcok1989! »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> Its not hypothetical, there are real regulations. There definition of
> exceptional already include ITs as it doesnt specifically exclude them.
>
> No IT that you know of.

This is a great example of ad ignorantium that I will be using with my TOK students. PsyGuy has zero evidence to support this assertion and in fact the actual evidence seems to be overwhelmingly to the contrary, yet challenges us to prove that it's impossible. My students and I have a laugh about those who use such blatantly weak reasoning. Clearly PsyGuy will argue this because it is inconceivable that somebody else will get the last word.
PsyGuy

Repy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

No IT that you know of.
Its not theoretical, there are real regulations. Their definition of exceptional already includes ITs as it doesnt specifically exclude them. Your beliefs are not facts.

@mcfcok1989!

The evidence is in the regulation. Their definition of exceptional already includes ITs as it doesnt specifically exclude them. This is a fact, your failure of observance is not evidence. Whatever strength of my argument, yours is weaker, its based on you not seeing it so its not possible, when statutory evidence exists that it is possible. You are confusing possibility with probability.
Heliotrope

Re: Repy

Post by Heliotrope »

If you're just going to repeat yourself, I might as well do the same:

As said, I'm not doubting the regulations are real, and that in theory ITs could be allowed to enter.
I'm just saying that I've read about well over a hundred that have tried, and all have failed. So until I hear about a successful attempt, I'm inclined to believe the Chinese government doesn't consider any ITs exceptional.
Not yet at least.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Im repeating it because it was correct the first time its still correct. This isnt a competition of who makes the most claims and arguments wins.
Its not theoretical, there are real regulations. Their definition of exceptional already includes ITs as it doesnt specifically exclude them. Your beliefs are not facts.
Illiane_Blues

Re: China closed

Post by Illiane_Blues »

This was also discussed on TES. Yes, China is effectively closed for international teachers, as in no international teacher will get in for the time being. If there is a regulation that would make it possible they are not applying that to teachers and a slew of other professions. The expectation is that this will change in May or June.