SEARCH/ISS and Coronavirus (breaking signed contract)

chemteacher101

SEARCH/ISS and Coronavirus (breaking signed contract)

Post by chemteacher101 »

Anyone with any knowledge on how the big agencies are managing people reneging on a contract for August due to the whole corona . situation? Any first hand experiences?

I accepted a position at a new location back in November, and am pretty sure this location will be in deep trouble due to corona (I actually think there's a good chance they will break the contract and decide not to bring in any new hires from abroad, but of course I imagine them doing this last minute). I'm thinking of reneging, but don't want to end up out of a job and not being able to use the big agencies to find a new one (I got this job through one of the big two).

On one hand I imagine that the pandemic should be a valid reason (natural disaster kind, specially when all experts seem to think this country's health system will collapse), but on the other, sometimes agencies seem to feel there is no valid excuse for reneging (even though many of the schools they represent have no issue with breaking teacher's contracts for all sorts of reasons).

I would love to hear other's views in this, and if anyone has any recent relatable experience.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not really SAs call, its each individual associate. When an IT withdraws acceptance of the contract the IS doesnt pay the invoice for the placement to the associate, thats coin that disappears. What your asking your associate to do is:
1) Dont get paid
2) Repp you again
3) Deal with a frustrated IS
Placements are how SA associates pay their bills, they need to take a solid position on the issue or theyre going to find themselves precipitous drop in finances. This isnt Fiji, China is one of the largest IT employers by itself, (not even aggregating them with Asia), they cant just let everyone get a mulligan and a do over without a LOT of unhappy Chinese leaders and recruiters.
chemteacher101

Re: SEARCH/ISS and Coronavirus (breaking signed contract)

Post by chemteacher101 »

Thanks PsyGuy.

As previously mentioned: if anyone with a recent and relatable experience can share (having discussed with a recruitment agency reneging on a signed contract), I definitely would appreciate it.
vandsmith

Re: SEARCH/ISS and Coronavirus (breaking signed contract)

Post by vandsmith »

i recently received a notification from search. in it, it says, "The bottom line though is that we will not penalize any of our candidates for taking actions designed to protect themselves and their families, as long as this is done as far as possible with the support and agreement of the school." take that for what you will.

good luck.

v.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

So nothing. "As long as this is done as far as possible with the support and agreement of the school", is exactly what it has always been. If the IT and the IS agree to dissolve the contract as long as someone (the IS is paying the invoice) there has not been a penalty. Thats not the issue of concern, its when the IT wants to rescind the contract for Wuhan . reasons and the IS doesnt want to release the IT from the contract.