Page 1 of 1

Obtaining a teaching licence (pref. QTS) with an MEd

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:20 am
by pd82
I have been reading through some of the other posts in this forum to find information on this subject, but seems to be a lot of different suggestions and none that really match my current situation.

I have an MEd degree in TESOL from the UK (my home country), and have been teaching primary level in an IS in Asia for the last 5 years. The school that I work at is a French school (with a bilingual pathway). They were fine employing me with my MEd, but I want to look into the possibility of getting QTS or another teaching licence for the future. I had previously applied for the AO route to QTS as another teacher in my school had done, but have been informed that they are no longer accepting a French school that follows the UK curriculum as experience.

I don't plan on going back to the UK or even leaving my current school, but I figured that it would be good to try to get a teaching qualification just in case.

From what I have read on here, my best options would be to apply for a MA teaching licence (with no chance of QTS) or a CT teaching licence (with some chance of QTS). Both their websites are a bit daunting so it would be great to hear from anyone who has experience of going through that process as a non-US citizen.


Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:00 am
by PsyGuy
Which AO EPP/ITT provider did you consult with?

Re: Obtaining a teaching licence (pref. QTS) with an MEd

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:30 am
by pd82
[quote=PsyGuy post_id=58318 time=1582696805 user_id=68047]
Which AO EPP/ITT provider did you consult with?

I didn't personally contact them, but a coworker in the same situation contacted TES


Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:09 pm
by PsyGuy
Thats basically the scenario. The TCL/TRA wont issue QTS with a MA provisional (entry grade) credential. You would need enough experience and education that CT issues you a provisional (standard grade) credential. The TRA/TCL wont issue QTS based on issuance of a CT initial (entry grade) credential. Even if you get the provisional CT credential its a coin flip if you will get QTS.
Past that the options would be to take those credentials, teach for 3 years and then apply for a HI standard (standard grade) credential. The TCL/TRA will issue QTS based on that, but in three years from now the TCL/TRA will be requiring verification of completing field work in the US for all QTS applicants (especially those those that have UK/non-US passports).
Its possible you could obtain the CT or the MA credential and apply to HI using your current and recent experience, and they accept your Masters as a working credential to work in an Asian FS and they issue you the HI standard credential now, and you use that to get QTS and it early enough that the TRA/TCL doesnt ask for field work verification. Even if you applied now with a UK passport and the HI standard credential they may ask for you to verify your field work.
Otherwise of the two, the MA provisional credential is an effective lifetime credential, while the CT credentials are all expiring credentials (initial is 3 years but renewable to a total of 18 years, provisional is 8 years and non-renewable).
Both of them use different licensing exams, though you could apply to CT and get a interim credential prior to taking professional exams allowing you to see if there were any other deficiencies and if they would issue the provisional credential.