China People - What Does Online Learning Look Like for You Right Now?

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@mysharona

VPN, but I should have clarified as youtube type videos.
mysharona

Re: China People - What Does Online Learning Look Like for You Right Now?

Post by mysharona »

Even a VPN doesn't do it because not all students have VPNs and we have been told not to use Youtube. However, we work around that by downloading them and serving them from alternate sources.
padcf

Post by padcf »

We are in Hanoi, Vietnam and don't suffer the same internet restrictions as China. However, we are using MS Teams in combination with Zoom to give online classes for Secondary and Highschool. Flipgrid (now free with MS Education suite) is also really good for the younger kids.

Additionally, Screencastify has been giving out free subscriptions to schools in Hanoi and may do the same for your school if you ask them. Screecastify is a handy little Chrome extension which allows you to record screen-casts and upload them online. That said, I'm not sure if you can specify anything but Google Drive for upload your screen-casts. You can however store them locally in Chrome and then send the file to your students.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@mysharona

You already stated my reply, the students dont need the VPN access the IT does then downloads the video and uploads it to a supported platform.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Google will be offering free expanded access to GSuite enterprise for education (until 1 July) which includes:
- Larger meetings, for up to 250 participants per call
- Live streaming for up to 100,000 viewers within a domain
- The ability to record meetings and save them to Google Drive
You can find the announcement here:
https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/ ... oronavirus

Starting 10 March, Microsoft Teams free version will allow unlimited users to join a team and will allow all team members to schedule calls and conferences.
Psychometrika

Post by Psychometrika »

I’m in Tbilisi and all schools have been shut down for at least two weeks.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to do high school math assessments at least semi-effectively? My school does not have any platforms that support this directly and I am having a hard time thinking of a way to handle this.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Psychometrika

Video conference, orally having the student demo a proof.