Residency vs Professional License

KYOTOHEEL

Residency vs Professional License

Post by KYOTOHEEL »

Greetings,

License is up for renewal this year and I am looking at different options. I have no intention of ever teaching in the state my current license is in. To renew, it would cost roughly 1k USD and take 2-4 months of online course work. Needless to say, that doesn't sound too appealing to me. I am looking at options of using my current license to get licensed in other states, preferably, not having to take other tests or needing x amount of teaching experience. Washington State has an easy process that gives one a Residency License that never expires if you don't ever actually teach in the state of Washington. I have spoken to a few ITs and they have told me they were never asked what type of license they had and that most schools simply want to know if you are currently licensed to teach in your home country. Is this accurate? I have seen Mississippi isn't that hard to get licensed in and it gives one a 5-year Professional license. Wondering, if I should attempt to get that one to go along with the Washington one.

Thoughts?
KYOTOHEEL

Re: Residency vs Professional License

Post by KYOTOHEEL »

Also,

Considering applying to the QTS. I heard of other teachers who did my ACP of which did their student teaching/field experience in the US, that were accepted.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Generally the type or grade of a credential doesnt matter much in IE. Youre either credentialed to provide K12/KS instructional services in some region X as determined by the regulating authority for X or your not. In general such a credential is considered acceptable when it 1) Has no restrictions, conditions or deficiencies in delivering the subject matter and grade level content inscribed on the credential and 2) Is permenant in that it either doesnt expire or is renewable. A credential that meets those criteria is considered a professional grade credential. A credential that doesnt is considered an entry grade credential and a credential that materially exceeds those requirements is an advanced grade credential. All of them regardless of grade permit the credential holder to provide instructional services in some regulating authorities jurisdiction.

The WA resident credential is a bit unique its considered a professional grade credential but the first issuance of the credential is valid for 2 years, but its two years of employment in WA (in this phase it doesnt have an expiration date), after which it converts to a 5 year credential with an expiration date and requires PD to renew. If you never teach in WA the resident credential will be a professional grade credential that never expires. While this will generally be acceptable within IE, you may have problems in the future. Mainly, that you will be transitioning your current (I assume) professional grade credential for a less than professional grade credential in some scenarios. The lack of an expiration date and the limited time of the first issuance credential may be seen as an entry grade credential.

WA tends to be friendly to ITs, first that youre not required to have any classroom experience to obtain the resident credential (assuming you completed an EPP/ITT program) whereas the desirable alternatives (NJ and CA) require various lengths of experience and second that the practical effect results in a lifetime credential without need of PD.

QTS is highly advantageous if your academic background is in the same subject matter as your teaching subject/s. It never expires, requires no PD (currently), is a professional grade credential with world wide recognition, and the application process is very easy. However, while your dossier will list your teaching fields the face of the credential does not, and doesnt have grade level or subject matter restrictions. As such hen combined with a degree in a teaching background its very stable and recognized, the issue is using it to market yourself a being able to teach a subject you have no other training, education or preparation in.